Transfering Pictures Onto Cake, How Do I Do It?

Decorating By TMRPL106 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 12:38am by tracey1970

TMRPL106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMRPL106 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:29am
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am wanting to transfer the picture I used on my daughters invitations onto her cake, how do I go about it as I'm not especially arty if I try to draw it myself.
Thanks
Tracy

2 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:37am
post #2 of 3

Do a FBT (frozen buttercream transfer) or a RIT (royal icing transfer)! Lay a piece of parchment paper over the invitation (you should be able to see the invitation through the parchment). Then trace the outline of the drawing in black icing. Fill in with the colors. If you use BC, then pop it in the freezer between the outline and filling in and between colors for about 5 minutes. Once completed, smooth a thin layer of buttercream completely over the design and then leave in the freezer for a good 20 minutes. Lay the parchment, icing side down, on the iced cake and carefully peel away the parchment. For a RIT, same process, only instead of popping in the freezer, let set on counter to dry for about 10 minutes in between oulining and filling and between colors, then let set on counter until completely dry (8-24 hours depending on how thick you have the icing). Then place on your iced cake and peel away the parchment. The image will be reversed when you do this, so if it has lettering or you don't want it reversed, you will have to reverse the image on the invitation and then do the FBT/RIT from the reversed image so that when you put it on the cake it is oriented correctly.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 3

As suggested, you could do a frozen buttercream transfer, a colour flow/royal icing transfer, or you could do a fondant plaque. I have done several of these (in my photos). I have ZERO artistic ability. None of those plaques are free-hand drawings (trust me!). They are easy to do, but time-consuming (but so are the transfers).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%