Beer Bottle Mold

Sugar Work By figuje Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 3:06am by figuje

figuje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
figuje Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a beer bottle mold and I am a having difficulty with it. I am almost done with the whole jar of Mold Builder and it has not thickened. I can still see the glass through the latex. What am I doing wrong?

6 replies
FudgeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FudgeQueen Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm...how many coats did you use...i used about 15 coats to do mine and in the end could not see the bottle once all dried

FudgeQueen Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 7

another note....it will squishy to the touch but dry...not hard like a cast mold...so as long as its dry and you have applied at least 12-15 coats then it should be fine.

figuje Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 7

thanks for responding so quickly. i have already put about fifteen coats. It is so thin.

FudgeQueen Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 7

I am actually coating a Grey Goose Vodka bottle at the moment and i just finished putting the 10th coat on and i happened to notice before i started putting the fresh coat on that i could still see the writing and designs on the bottle....then i took a look at the beer bottle one i have finished already and although it is thin it is 15 layers of latex that have had a chance to bond stronger upin each coat so i wouldnt worry. I would just make sure that when you do roll the finished mold off of the bottle to sprinkle it with baby powder so that when you roll it down it doesnt stick to itself....once you pop it back out to the right side(use a wooden stick to push it back thru) if it stands on its own without collapsing in on itself then you have enough coats....be careful pouring the sugar the mold does heat up quick and gets really hottttt!!!! but it will not burn a hole....let me know how you make out....HTH

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:04am
post #6 of 7

When I made my mold, I used a pastry brush and really globbed each layer on thick (after the second layer, I couldn't see the bottle anymore). The outside of the mold looked like a big lumpy mess, but the inside was fine and my bottles turned out great.

figuje Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:06am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your help. It turned out great. I am about to pour my sugar into my mold and make my first sugar beer bottle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%