My Ganache Isn't Setting Up

Decorating By SweetMelissa2007 Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm by jardot22

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 4

I am fairly new to ganache and this is the first time I have tried milk chocolate ganache. It doesn't seem to be setting up-it's rather runny. Is this normal for milk chocolate ganache or am I being impatient? I made one that was 3/4 milk and 1/4 bittersweet chocolate and that has set up but not the all milk choc. I made the mixture one first so I don't know if I'm just being impatient or if it's not going to set up at all!! I don't want to put it on my cake if it won't set on the cake!! Any help would be appreciated!

TIA, Melissa

3 replies
jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

How long have you been waiting for it to set up? Also, what ratio did you use of cream to milk chocolate?

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 4

I used a 2:1 ratio but I just checked it and it is already a little thicker than it was when I posted. I was just being impatient!! Do you recommend pouring with it a little warmer or slightly thicker/cooler?

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 4

If you want to pour it on, a warmer/thinner consistency would be better. If you want to ice the cake in the ganache, you will want to let it set for a long time until it is the consistency of peanut butter. Then you can ice the cake in it like you would buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%