How Do I Make Stand-Up People?

Decorating By MontanaGal Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 11:28am by cad1951

MontanaGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontanaGal Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 5

I am sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. Could someone please tell me how to make figures (people) that stand up on a cake. I have been using fondant for my figures (all sit down) and have had no luck getting them to stand up.

Thanks so much!

Rainy icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 5

I would put some type of structure in their legs so that you can stick them into the cake. What I'm thinking is create their legs around something like a lolipop stick leaving some of the stick uncovered so that you can stick that part into the cake to make them stand up. Just a thought.... icon_rolleyes.gif
Good luck.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 5

What is the problem, exactly? Are the figures OK, but not holding on the cake or do you have problems to get them stand up at all?

Either put toothpick in each leg with a bit sticking (this you can stick in the cake) out or make the figure ahead, let it dry hard leaned on a box for example - and then glue it with sugar glue / royal icing or similar on the finished cake.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:53am
post #4 of 5

also think about using gumpaste. dries much harder, faster and stronger than fondant.
xx

cad1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cad1951 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:28am
post #5 of 5

i use rolled buttercream, then make my figures in stages. stick spaghetti inside each leg while forming and leave about 1/2 inch to stick into waist, let dry a little bit til it starts getting hard then glue together, i use piping gel to glue pieces together. lay on former or stand next to coffee cup or something, padding with rolled up cling wrap to help keep shape til dry. rolled buttercream usually takes a couple days to dry harder, leave in cool, dry, non airtight place to dry. put a piece of spaghetti into each leg with portion sticking out to go into waste, put piece of spaghetti into chest leaving portion to go into head. make small hole head in while soft and let dry little bit before gluing to chest. let head dry enough to keep shape when glued together, but don't dry hard before gluing. too soft, it will loose shape while gluing, too hard , it will crack head. just let dry a few hours should be enough then start gluing together. hope this works for you, i do it this way all the time. any problems, email me, will be glad to help if i can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%