Luster Or Pearl Dust

Baking By spsjj Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 3:35am by Elise87

spsjj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spsjj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:07am
post #1 of 6

I am going to paint a cookie to make it Gold..which should I use for the best color Luster dust or pearl dust? Where is teh cheapest place to buy it. Thanks cookie friends

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:14am
post #2 of 6

lustre dust gives a metallic finish
pearl dust gives a pearlised finish.

the two are very different, so it sounds like you want the lustre dust.
(im in the uk so canmt advise on where to buy - online is usually cheaper than in reality tho)
xx

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 6

spsjj, hobby lobby or michaels has it, I use extract with it, but most people use vodka, I think.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:49am
post #4 of 6

You can mix it with extract, vodka, or lemon juice into a paste and then it's ready to go. icon_smile.gif

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:26am
post #5 of 6

I can only find lustre dust at the cake supply store. Wilton's pearl dust that you can find at any craft store is the only dust that is approved by the FDA, just an FYI. Not that lustre dust is harmful, but Wilton's is just approved. Don't confuse it with the shimmer dust, which is just crushed up cake sparkles (edible glitter)

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:35am
post #6 of 6

I have wanted to do the same thing and have a question to add if no one minds.
I was going to paint some cookies with edible gold paint i have and they would be rather large cookies but would it still be ok to eat with that amount of gold on it? I just want to make sure icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%