Fresh Bananas

Decorating By lilym Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 9:22pm by d3sc3n7

lilym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilym Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Guys,

Does anybody knows if there is a preservative to use for fresh bananas. A friend wants a cake with chocolate pudding and fresh bananas. since is a two tier cake i need to make banana tier ahead of time and i don't want them to ripe and get dark inside the cake. What should i do. I need to make this at least 1 or 2 days in advance.

6 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 7

This is where you say I am sorry that will not work.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 7

Bananas are one of those things that just spoil very quickly. You can buy a *little* extra time by macerating them in a mixture of lime or lemon juice an sugar, but that will only give you a few extra hours. With fresh bananas, the cake needs to be made the day it will be eaten and eaten up within 24 hours.

Fortunately, you do have an option for banana flavor, even though it's not fresh bananas! CK makes a banana flavored icing fruit: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=532&SubCatId=799&productId=619088
You can add this to your regular buttercream to make a banana buttercream which will be as stable as your regular buttercream.

HTH!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:36am
post #4 of 7

Do you think your friend might go for it if you caramelize the bananas?

lilym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilym Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 7

explain?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 7

Well I use a recipe for caramelized bananas, I think it was from a martha stewart book. Since they're cooked, they last longer. They do have to remain refrigerated (for storing, not for serving) but you don't get the browning and spoilage. I did indeed pair them w/a chocolate ganache filling and it was TO DIE FOR.

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 7

Step 1: Buy Bannanas
Step 2: Make Cake
Step 3: Eat Bananas
Step 4: Say...oops, sorry...I ate your bananas

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%