Just Bought Seperators

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 11:49am by all4cake

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:09am
post #1 of 15

I just bought a set of seperators for wedding cake dummies I will be making in square and round. I told the man that I want to put roses inbetween each tier and asked him what size seperators to get. He said that they are normally 2 inches smaller than the tier below. I have now received them and it looks wrong to me as the seperators are the same length as the tier above, I am worried that the base of the roses will show including the beginning of the wires. I telephoned him and told him this and he said that really I should have bought seperators which are 2 inches less than the tier above so for the top tier which is 6" I should have a 4" seperator underneath. Anyway, I am not going to send even more money and I don't want to spend od postage again so I am going to try to make do. Can someone give me some advice in making this work?

14 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 15

I reckon I don't understand. Do you have images of the design you are working toward?

MissCakeCrazy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 15

more like the 3rd one but without the boards. As you can see, the roses are the same width as the tier above. I want to achieve this look but the seperators I have are exactly the same width as the tier above therefore allowing no room for the beginning of the rose. the base of the rose will also be seen.

all4cake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 15

I just noticed I sent you two identical links....that wasn't supposed to happen

all4cake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 15

oh poo...I think I get it now....I'm so sorry...I was thinking you meant separator plates

Is there any way you could trim them? I've never done one like that but I would say he was right the 2nd time...2 inches smaller than the tier above it...but that too would depend on the size of your flowers, wouldn't it?

MissCakeCrazy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 15

you can only trim the square ones, woudnt be able to trim the round ones. my roses are going to be quite large. will it look odd if i use the seperators i have got?

all4cake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 15

I don't think so...they would ultimately be in line with the tier below instead of the tier above. What the board the cake was on was larger on the next tier up...not so much that it protruded like the one in the 3 example

MissCakeCrazy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 15

I am thinking of doing a 'flat' design on the seperators so it won't stick out too much from the tier above. something like flower cut outs etc..

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 15

I think I get what you mean~just move each separation down one tier and make do with something to hold up the top tier~~

If I understood the dilema you described then I hope ^^^ that makes sense.

Like I did a tower of roses cake and it had 4 jillion tiers well possible exageration there but it had one tier too many anyhow and oopsie I'm setting up and there's nothing to separate the top tier-hahahaicon_redface.gifnotsofunny~~ so I had a small plastic container holding some fondant doodads for the groom's cake and lo and behold instant-pillar-separation-in-a-pinch icon_biggrin.gif

http://acmecakes.com/images/R0011096.JPG

MissCakeCrazy Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 15

I'll have to experiment, keep you posted!

MissCakeCrazy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 15

I have made a design from the seperators but I don't know how to attach the picture to this forum?

all4cake Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 15

If you upload your photo to your gallery, you can add a link to that here...

Is this it?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1494715

MissCakeCrazy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:36am
post #14 of 15

has something happened to the home page of this site? I cannot view anything. The options for viewing your uploaded pictures, sent messages and mail are all gone. The format has changed too.

all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:49am
post #15 of 15

mine's still there...the only time mine disappears anymore is when I'm not signed in....now, it happens periodically that it'll sign me out automatically while I'm on the site... actively on the site

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%