Rolling Out Fondant Question:

Decorating By Gaiter Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm by Loucinda

Gaiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaiter Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 14

So I've seen a few ways of rolling out fondant as far as what is used underneath it to keep it from sticking on the counter.... so what is best?
I've seen powdered sugar, shortening and cornstarch....

13 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:15am
post #2 of 14

I have a large piece of heavy plastic, they sell it by the yard for table covering at walmart.....if I am kneading and making mmf I use crisco..if I am rolling out for applying to a cake I use cornstarch and cs...if you use a clean stocking and put 50/50 corn starch and conf sugar, and dab your surface with the tied off stocking, it will be perfect

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:35am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

if you use a clean stocking and put 50/50 corn starch and conf sugar, and dab your surface with the tied off stocking, it will be perfect

That's an awesome tip! I'm gonna try that. icon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 10:17am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I have a large piece of heavy plastic, they sell it by the yard for table covering at walmart.....if I am kneading and making mmf I use crisco..if I am rolling out for applying to a cake I use cornstarch and cs...if you use a clean stocking and put 50/50 corn starch and conf sugar, and dab your surface with the tied off stocking, it will be perfect

I do the same thing. I use crisco when Im making MMF. When Im rolling it out I use PS. I tried cornstarch out and I didnt like it because it dried it out too much, but Im thinking I might try it again...because you know what? Im so tired of mopping my floor 10000 times to get all the sticky PS off after Im done rolling fondant. lol. Next time I do fondant Im going to try the cornstarch again. I think my prob was my fondant was too dry to begin with. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 14

I am the odd one out here....I only use shortning to roll out big pices of fondant. I use the vinyl mat (from walmart as PP said) I lightly grease it with shortning - I warm my fondant up a tiny bit in the microwave first, then knead it on my vinyl mat - check to make sure there is still shortning on there before rolling it - then roll away! I then lift the entire mat up and turn it over to get the fondant on the cake. By using the shortning, the fondant never gets any dry dusty spots and it is always flawless.

Here is a pic of the last one I did (this past week):
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1467595

JCE62108 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 14

Ive tried greasing my counter with shortening when rolling out, but it always seems to stick because there is so much friction. Rolling it onto a rolling pin was difficult for me when I tried it. I can see how rolling it on a mat would be easier. Maybe Ill try that next time. I just flat out dont like using PS only because it makes such a mess in my kitchen. I hate that powdery dry look too. Loucinda, that cake is beautiful. May I ask where you found the isomalt? I havent been able to find it in my area, but maybe Im not looking in the right place.

min_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
min_wilson Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 14

Just dust your surface with powdered suger, and use parchement or wax paper on top and roll over that, just make sure the paper is smooth, unless you want a leather look to it. roll it onto the rolling pin just like that, and once you unroll it onto the cake, you just carefully peel off the paper. easy piesy

JCE62108 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 14

You put parchment on top of the sugar? What is the point of the sugar?

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 14

I use the sheet of vinyl too, it works great. I wipe my counter top down with a damp sponge and put the vinyl on top, it stays stuck to the counter and doesn't shift. I can also use the sheet to transfer the rolled fondant onto the cake.

I read a post recently where one CC'er had run out of Crisco and used spray canola oil and said it worked, I wanted to try that because I have a tendency to use too much Crisco. I zapped my MMF in the microwave for a few seconds, use the spray and it worked perfectly, it was a lot easier to get off my hands and my work area than Crisco too.

I think I will try the 50/50 method too when I'm working with smaller pieces.

Gaiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaiter Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 14

I'm working with a large piece, its gotta cover 9x26x4.....

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 14

I would highly recommend the vinyl, it's about $5 a yard at Joanns and you can get any thickness you want. I got a pretty thick piece so that I could use cookie cutters, rotary cutters, etc. on it and not worry. Also the spray canola oil.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 14

That is heck of a large piece of fondant hehe. If I were you, I'd dust my counter with a mixture of cornstarch and powdered sugar and then roll out a piece of fondant. I will then roll out the shorter side of fondant in my rolling pin and then unroll it to the cake.

min_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
min_wilson Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

You put parchment on top of the sugar? What is the point of the sugar?

Powdered sugar under fondant, wax paper above fondant

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #14 of 14

For the ribbon on the brown bow cake in my pics, I had to roll a 48" by 2.5" piece!! I was real hapy I have my 6' stainless table for that one. I did like Rylan said for a piece like that, after getting it rolled out and cut, I just loosely started rolling it on itself - then unrolled it around the cake!

The Isomalt, I found 3 places that carry it - Sweet Expressions (Kathy Scot) Global sugar art, and Countrykitchensa dot com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%