Crossroads

Decorating By Caike Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 11:18pm by Caike

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 12

I'm disappointed that I can never spread icing on a cake and be happy with it. I'm drawn to fondant because I'm super picky about the look of a cake and I like clean lines - I don't like my cakes to look home made if that makes sense.

Here's the other problem; I hate making fondant and I'm not a fan of the taste.

I'm sure all of you went through this at one point in time. How did you learn to work with BC so that it was super smooth? I'm drawn more to cookies at this point because I know no matter what I can get a good result. icon_cry.gif

11 replies
d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 12

Are you making the regular crappy fondant, or MMF?

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #3 of 12

I hate MMF, I don't understand why so many people like it. It's super messy to make and way to sweet. I'd like to know how to get it super smooth as well. I read somewhere on here about a roller???? Can somebody explain that pretty please.........
Caike thinks for asking this question because I've been wanting to know as well.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 12

What recipe would the "regular crappy fondant" be? I don't think I've seen that one. LOL.

Seriously, though, there are good "regular fondant" recipes, and not everyone likes MMF. (I don't.)

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 12

Ok, maybe I'm the only one who can make regular crappy fondant

I flavor my MMF, and it dumbs down the sweetness...comes out pretty well

Caike Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:49am
post #6 of 12

I used a fondant recipe from the site but wasn't ready to try MFF yet. It was a super simple recipe...heated marshmallows into icing sugar with flavoring I think?

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caike

I used a fondant recipe from the site but wasn't ready to try MFF yet. It was a super simple recipe...heated marshmallows into icing sugar with flavoring I think?

Sure sounds like MMF to me

Caike Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 12

By MFF I meant Michelle Foster's fondant recipe... mine was MMF, just plain marshmallow fondant... Sorry for the confusion.

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caike

By MFF I meant Michelle Foster's fondant recipe... mine was MMF, just plain marshmallow fondant... Sorry for the confusion.

MMF,MFF...maybe if I could read...it would help

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #10 of 12

When I started decorating cakes, the main problem I had was getting the buttercream smooth. I tried the Melvira foam roller method, the spatula heated in how water method, the paper towel method....they all worked okay, but they are all a big hassle and take too much time.
I now have one method that I use and my cakes are smooth as glass EVERY single time, and VERY quick like a minute or two per cake.
I pt my icing on with a 24" poly bag ( from Ateco) with a wilton cake icer tip in it.
I then smooth one continuous swoop around the cake (that is sitting on a turntabel) with these white platic flexible bowl scrapers from DecoPac, and then follow it up with the yellow thermo plastic scraper from Bakey Crafts. My icing is perfect each time, and like I said, it is very fast and no mess, or heating up water or buying expensive paper towels.
I see a lot of people talking about a sugarshack video for buttercream, i have never seen it, but with my method my buttercream cakes are as smooth as fondant evertime! HTH

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:57am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeroach

When I started decorating cakes, the main problem I had was getting the buttercream smooth. I tried the Melvira foam roller method, the spatula heated in how water method, the paper towel method....they all worked okay, but they are all a big hassle and take too much time.
I now have one method that I use and my cakes are smooth as glass EVERY single time, and VERY quick like a minute or two per cake.
I pt my icing on with a 24" poly bag ( from Ateco) with a wilton cake icer tip in it.
I then smooth one continuous swoop around the cake (that is sitting on a turntabel) with these white platic flexible bowl scrapers from DecoPac, and then follow it up with the yellow thermo plastic scraper from Bakey Crafts. My icing is perfect each time, and like I said, it is very fast and no mess, or heating up water or buying expensive paper towels.
I see a lot of people talking about a sugarshack video for buttercream, i have never seen it, but with my method my buttercream cakes are as smooth as fondant evertime! HTH

Nothing like the old school way of doing things is there? icon_smile.gif

Caike Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 12

Perhaps a stupid question - where do you get one of those long edge straight spatula tools that you're talking about?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%