Bubbling/bulging Fondant...

Decorating By Mystic Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm by Mystic

Mystic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystic Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 4

So... I thought you couldn't put MM fondant iced cakes in the cooler, but of course watching the cake challenges and other shows I noticed that's what they do, so I've been trying it out. Every time I do, the MM fondant sweats and gets very tacky (can't touch it b/c it will leave finger prints and blemishes). Then I get a huge air bubble and b/c I am not usually there when it happens the fondant stretches and pretty much unrepairable icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I ice w/ b/c and put in the cooler then I MMF and then put it in the cooler.

Is it something that I am doing wrong or I shouldn't put MMF in the cooler - is it only for the real icings, lol, like Satin Ice...

Thanks in advance... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 4

why do you put your cakes in the fridge?
if it has a perishable filling then it needs to be, and you will need to learn to cope with the fall out. but the usual bc recipes do not need refridgerated, and since your cakes dont react well to refridgeration, why bother?

some fondants hold up to refridgeration better than others, but it is also to do with your fridge, the humidity, the teperature etc etc.
xx

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 4

Once I'm ready to decorate a cake, I take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature. I only refrigerate a cake when I'm torting/filling/crumbing. I ice them in BC and immediately apply the fondant. All at room temp.

Then when I put them in the fridge, they stay dry and the fondant hardens into a nice protective shell.

Over refrigerating can introduce too much moisture into the BC which will then seep out through your fondant and make it wet and tacky. To guard against this, I never ice or fondant cold cakes. I learned this the hard way from watching one too many of my Mom's cakes fall apart due to trapped moisture issues.

As for bubbling and air pockets in your fondant, I learned a trick (well...maybe it's not a trick...but it was better then how I used to do it!!) for applying my fondant that will virtually elliminate this problem.

Make sure you put your fondant on your cake before the BC has a chance to crust. This will bond the fondant to the BC much better. Smooth from the middle of the top towards the edges, pushing any air out from underneath the fondant as you go. Smooth the sides from the top down, but do the top half all the way around first. Once you've got the top of the sides in place, then go back around and smooth the bottoms. Always pushing the air down and out.

If you roll your fondant out on PS, make sure you take a paintbrush and knock off all the excess PS from the side of the fondant that is going to contact the BC. You can do this as you're rolling it up on your rolling pin.

Keeping the BC from crusting and removing the excess PS will give you a nice, clean bond and will minimize any chance of air pockets forming in between a crusted layer of BC and a piece of fondant with too much PS.

Trial and error on my part. Many bubbles, blowouts, etc. happened before I dialed it all in!!

Hope this helps!!

Mystic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystic Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%