Full Sheet Cake Boxes???

Decorating By vivedcreations Updated 21 Jan 2007 , 2:44am by chaptlps

vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, so I consider my full sheet cake to be 24x36 (2 - 12x18 side by side) I've called around to see if the local bakery supply shops sell full sheet cake boxes and they do but they are 19x26. Does anyone know where to buy a larger box than that? Am I crazy having a full sheet cake be 24x36? I thought I had read where this is the size people used for their full sheet. But what do they put it in? Thanks!

10 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 11

If I'm going the math right, a full sheet is 19 x 26. (Let's see if I can explain this: since the two 12x18 are side-by-side, the width is 24 (12 + 12 =24) and the 'height' is 18 inches.)

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 11

ok, now I'm really confused!! What are the measurements for sheet cakes? I was in a cake supply store getting a box for a 1/2 sheet which I believe is a 12x18 cake. They told me a 1/4 sheet is an 11x15 - I thought a 9x13 was a 1/4 sheet. And I also thought a full sheet was 24x36 because you just do 2 half sheets. Anyone know what the true measurements for sheet cakes are?

ETA - I also thought the "height" was 2" but they get taller after filling and icing.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 11

hiya guys,
vivid, sweetey, I think that you put the 18 twice,
the cake is still 18" wide by 24" long (2 12x18's)
So I think that's where the confusion is coming from
I know, it's kinda hard to figure that out without the pans or cakes sitting right in front of you.
So here is what I have learned about cake sizes:
9x13 is a quarter sheet; 11x15 or 12x18 can both be considered half sheets (depends on the pan) and last but definitely not least is the full sheet which is (we'll go with the larger half here) 18x24"
Boxes and boards will usually be 1 to 2 inches larger than the actual cake is so that can accomodate borders etc.
They do sell cake boxes at sugarcraft.com and pastyrwhiz.com. I'm not really sure if they sell them on this site though. Have to ask the boss man bout that.
I hope that helps ya hun. Just whip out the ol' tape measure and measure away, write down the dimensions and see if the box place has those boxes for ya.

chaptlps Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 11

Ok, now, I went back and reread your post.
Are you saying that you use "4" half sheets to make a full sheet?
Omg that's a lot of cake. and yep that would be the 24"x36" that you are talking about.
Unless you can find someone who does custom size boxes or shipping boxes that size, I really don't think they actually make a "cake" box that size.
I don't know bout anyone else, but in my book that is a double-full sheet cake.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 11

thank you, thank you, thank you chaptlps -- not I got it straight icon_lol.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

Ok, now, I went back and reread your post.
Are you saying that you use "4" half sheets to make a full sheet?
Omg that's a lot of cake. and yep that would be the 24"x36" that you are talking about.
Unless you can find someone who does custom size boxes or shipping boxes that size, I really don't think they actually make a "cake" box that size.
I don't know bout anyone else, but in my book that is a double-full sheet cake.

No. She said "2 12x18 side by side" so it's not 4 cakes.

Vivid - Many times I have to rig up my own box for large cakes. Just take two one-piece 1/2 sheet boxes (either 18x14 or 20x14) and open them up so the fronts of the boxes are facing each other. Now, overlap them until the bottom of the box measures 24 inches across. Tape the two boxes together, front and back. Fold up all the sides as you would with a regular box.

chaptlps Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 11

K, I think I will go find me a place on the confused couch now!! LOL
TY Diane for bringing me back to reality icon_biggrin.gif
Sometimes it ain't worth gettin out of bed to tie yer shoes. LOL
O well, still think yer kewl anyway. LOL

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 11

My cake supply here in town carries the full sheet boxes. They're VERY sturdy white corrugated on the bottom, and regular flimsy cake box stuff on the top. One piece for the bottom, completely flat that you fold and another piece flat that you fold for the lid.

Love my local cake supply (Sugarbaker's) but I know this is of no help to y'all.

--Knox--

Just put me on the "confused couch" too--I've always used two 12x18's for a full sheet. That's 12 mixes, dude. Gah! icon_surprised.gif

vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all! I actually accidentally posted this twice today and someone else brought me back to reality! I was doubling both numbers! DUH! I'm so stupid!!! I get it now. Yes, 24x18 is what I am talking about. The lady at the cake supply shop said the box was 19x26, so that would only give you 1/2" on each side for a border on the short side. That doesn't seem like very much. I like the idea of putting two together, thanks Diane! We'll see what I come up with. I'm having my stepdad cut me a board and was just trying to figure out what size board to have him cut. Thanks again for all your help getting me through this confused day!! icon_smile.gif

chaptlps Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:44am
post #11 of 11

That's k vivid we all get those "brain fart" days.
So yer not stupid, just had a lot on your mind and stuff. Happens all the time to me. So I'll save you a spot here next to me on the confused couch. Hope you like coffee. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%