Cake Covered In Fondant In The Fridge Due To Panic Now What?

Decorating By NiderVille Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm by icer101

NiderVille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiderVille Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 9

I know I was not supposed to my cake in the fridge but I did due to my butter cream was melting underneath it and making the fondant bubbly. After 10 hours of working on it I started to panic. My house was very cool last evening so I am not sure why it started to melt.

My question is what do I do now?

It is for a Baby shower that I am hosting this evening and I don't want it to be ruined. I used the Wilton butter cream recipe and maybe there is a better recipe for butter cream to put under fondant. This was my first time using fondant.

Help!!!!
LL

8 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 9

maybe you can just take off letters and try smoothing it with your fondant smoother. good luck

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 9

I always put my fondant cakes in the fridge and have never had a problem with them. I also live in a very dry area, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I have been using ganache under my fondant instead of BC for the past few cakes, and I will never use BC again. It is so much easier to keep it smooth and I haven't had those bumpy, bulging problems like I did with BC....and no layer bulges!!! Give it a try on your next cake and see if it works better for you.

Your cake is still adorable! I wonder if you let it sit out for a while to dry out a bit and then use a fondant smoother if you could still smooth out any problem areas. Still it's a really adorable cake!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 9

Did you let the cake settle with the BC on it before covering with the fondant? It looks like it might be air bubbles (gas)escaping from the BC which happens if fondant is applied before cake has had a chance to settle. Was the BC completely smooth when you applied the fondant?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 9

What recipe did you use? I don't use a butter cream with butter in it and put it under fondant. It isn't stable enough IMO. Also your buttercream may be too thick underneath. Was your cakes completely cooled and settled?

I do put my fondant in the fridge. I know it is suppose to be a no no but I do it and it works for me.

The cake is adorable. I agree you can try to resmooth, but honestly your mother to be may not even notice......remember we are cake people and so we notice much much more than the average eye.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 9

I think your cake is adorable! I have only used fondant on 3 cakes that I have done, and I wonder if you used too much buttercream underneath? So that the weight of the fondant shifted the buttercream (if that makes sense)? I am not an expert in fondant by any means, but it was a thought. Especially since you said your house was cool last night.

Like tootie0809, I think you should let any condensation evaporate then try to gently smooth. Don't forget to pin-prick any air bubbles (on an angle) as you go!

Best wishes! I'm sure everything will turn out okay for you! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 9

Your problem there has nothing to do with being in the fridge. What filling is between the layers, did you let the cake settle, all kinds of other questions. I put my cakes in the fridge without exception. They don't come out looking any different, nor do they look any different hours later when coming to room temp.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 9

My biggest suspicion would be the Wilton recipe for buttercream... If you used Crisco without trans fats you have a very different buttercream than if you used a store brand like Walmart's that still has the trans fats. That combined with not enough time for the cake to settle is why I would suspect you are "slipping." Make sure to bring the cake out of the fridge with plenty of time for it to come back up to room temp. It puts out a lot of condensation during that time and your fondant could look shiny, or wet if not properly restored to room temp. One way to take care of that is to let it come back up in a cardboard box. The cardboard absorbs the condensations.

Your cake is adorable!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 9

people cover cakes with fondant all the time. that use.. imbc and smbc.. that is all butter.. yeah. in frig. it sets up.. but when you bring it out.. its butter... so it is going to get soft.. so using buttercream with crisco and butter couldn,t be the problem .. is it mmf? or what kind did you use.. if the buttercream underneath the fondant isn,t smooth.. then it will show in the fondant.. so many reasons... i really don,t think you could smooth it anymore now.. but i don,t know everything...ha! if it was me.. i would not mess with it anymore. i think you would create more problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%