Need Recipe For Stacked Wedding Cake

Baking By rlw74 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 2:39am by rlw74

rlw74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlw74 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I really need a good recipe for a wedding cake that is going to be a three-tier, stacked, fondant-covered cake. Oh yes, and I'll be transporting it about 14 hours away less than a day before the wedding. I need something really sturdy but also moist and delicious. Any suggestions?

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 6

do a search for the WASC. it's very popular with CC-ers.

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 6

rlw74, I agree with prterrell that the WASC cake is a good sturdy cake and it also taste great. My only problem with this recipe is that it doesn't hold up well. By that I mean around the 2nd to 3rd day after baking, even if it has been refridgerated, it starts to taste old. I'm on the search for a good cake that has the density of a pound cake but not the flavor of a pound cake. Most of the cakes I create are scuplted or stacked and also usually take a couple of days to decorate so it also needs to stay fresh for a few days. I will be following this discussion to see if anyone else has any good ideas.

~Kim

rlw74 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:31am
post #4 of 6

Oh thanks for that comment. I will probably have to start making the cake at least a few days in advance and it will take me about two days to drive it there. So I want something that will taste fresh for more than a few days. I have used the bride's cake from the Cake Doctor Book and like it. But it is pretty moist. The last cake I made was a four tier monster that held up really well but it was only covered in BC. I haven't tried it in fondant yet. The Cake Doctor book has an incredible chocolate pound cake that is really moist. It has the density of a pound cake but tastes like a regular cake. But it is chocolate. Haven't found that for another flavor yet.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

rlw74, I agree with prterrell that the WASC cake is a good sturdy cake and it also taste great. My only problem with this recipe is that it doesn't hold up well. By that I mean around the 2nd to 3rd day after baking, even if it has been refridgerated, it starts to taste old. I'm on the search for a good cake that has the density of a pound cake but not the flavor of a pound cake. Most of the cakes I create are scuplted or stacked and also usually take a couple of days to decorate so it also needs to stay fresh for a few days. I will be following this discussion to see if anyone else has any good ideas.

~Kim

Really? I did not know that. I, myself, have not made it, but it gets such rave reviews from everyone, that I feel safe recommending it.

rlw74 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #6 of 6

I made the WASC cake last Thursday. It still tasted moist and fresh yesterday (haven't checked it today) - but that is a full five days later. I wonder if there are multiple recipes out there and I just happened to use one of the better ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%