Need Help On How To Deliver A 3 Tiered Cake

Decorating By cserr4 Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm by cherrycakes

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 8

My customer wants to have a tiered cake made for 60 people and she wants to pick it up from me and bring it to the party herself b/c it's far away. I'm a little nervous about having her bring a tiered cake.
I was thinking of making 2 tiers instead of my original 3 since it might be safer to travel. Would it look funny to make a 12" and 10" tiered cake or should i do a 12" and 8"? Or do you think it would be ok for her to travel with a 10, 8, 6 " tiered cake?
Thanks for the advice!

7 replies
Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cserr4

My customer wants to have a tiered cake made for 60 people and she wants to pick it up from me and bring it to the party herself b/c it's far away. I'm a little nervous about having her bring a tiered cake.
I was thinking of making 2 tiers instead of my original 3 since it might be safer to travel. Would it look funny to make a 12" and 10" tiered cake or should i do a 12" and 8"? Or do you think it would be ok for her to travel with a 10, 8, 6 " tiered cake?
Thanks for the advice!

If she is picking it up and you have time to order SPS (highly praised btw) then do so. It is supposed to be better than dowels. Also, let her know that you are not responsible if something happens to the cake once it leaves your hands.

cserr4 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks! What is SPS? I don't think i've ever heard of it before. So do you think I should do a 2 tier(would it look funny with a 12" then 8" or 10" on top? Which size do you think?

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cserr4

Thanks! What is SPS? I don't think i've ever heard of it before. So do you think I should do a 2 tier(would it look funny with a 12" then 8" or 10" on top? Which size do you think?

Check out the sticky SPS on the How Do I forum. It tells you about the SPS system. I was trying to read it earlier but the link is messed up. You can read the forum posts which give you a general idea or you can PM Leah's. She is great. I would go with either, but just let the customer know that you will not be responsible once it leaves your hands. icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 8

There is a sticky at the top of the "Hod do I" forum with instructions on the SPS system. It is designed for for customers to transport cakes.

cserr4 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks Ladies! I can't seem to open up the pdf. Don't know why. So this SPS system should make my cake more stable if I decide to do a 3 tiered cake?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 8

I have had so many disasters when other people deliver. 3 smashed cakes. It really depends on the person delivering the cake. If they understand how careful you must be then I would consider it. I wasn't using the sps at that time, so i'm not sure how that would work. How about stacking two tiers together, and then having them put the third cake on. An easy way for them to do this is to have some sort of pedistal that they would just have to set the cake on it. If you look in my cakes there is an example of this, its the grapes and ivy cake.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 8

Even if I'm not driving my cake anywhere I love SPS! It is so easy compared to dowels and I know the cakes are going to be straight so no worrying about leaning towers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%