Price, Help!!! Possible First Order For A Wedding Cake..

Decorating By karenapple Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 1:55am by Caike

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everybody!! First time posting here...

I need help to find out the pans I could use for this cake. It's for 161 people. I was looking at Wilton's serving chart and couldn't figure it out an exactly number. Sorry, brand new beginner lol either it would be to many servings more or less, if I want to follow the exact scale of pans showed in the picture. Maybe I will have to use the top cake as a dummie?
Anyway, this is the cake http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/MarthaStewart/butterflies-mag.jpg The client is gonna give the top couple and the butterflies. So it's a really simple fondant cake.

By the way, how can I make sure I will have my cake stand back?
Thank you so much in advance.
LL

7 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 8

The majority of the time you won't get an exact number of servings to match the number needed....you will either have a little more or a little less. It is up to the client to decide which they prefer. If you do a 6, 8, 10, 12 you end up with 130 servings (including the top tier). If you do a 8, 10, 12, 14 you end up with 196 (including the top tier). With respect to your stand, most people will charge a rental fee and take a security deposit to ensure it is returned. In the event that it does not come back to you, at least you have your cost covered so you can replace it. HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 8

MrsWendel said it all!

As a rule, IndyDebi recommends using the 60% rule for wedding. Meaning that they only plan for 60% of the people who get invites to show up. And then she adds a few or takes a few away based on the number of people who have RSVP'd so far. So that's how she recommends the bride should choose the number of servings.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 8

Ok so I found the link to IndyDebi's blog (with the 60% rule). Here it is! Hope this helps!

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2009/07/debis-60-rule-or-why-rsvps-dont-work.html

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 8

I'd do a 14x11x8x5 for 170 ish servings if my math is right.

But it also looks like two tiers are taller than the other two--don't know if you're going that route.

I make disposable stands--I just have them pay for it on the front end.

That sure is a pretty cake.

If she's getting really dramatic butterflies like those, I think the b&g topper will detract but that's just my random thought.

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you guys for answering! It cleared up the situation for me... I'm waiting for her contact.
But I forgot to ask how much I should charge for this cake?
I thought I had asked that, but forgot, I'm sorry.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 8

You may want to call around to a couple of local bakeries to get an idea of the ballpark you should be in. You don't want to undercut them, or yourself. Most people have 2 prices - one for fondant and one for buttercream. Figure that out and then multiply by the number of servings.

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #8 of 8

Just a side-bar comment here - that's a gorgeous wedding cake. Never really seen anything like it, but I think it's fantastic. Would love to see pics when you're done! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%