10" Square Cake - Cannot Bake This Cake To Perfection

Decorating By loves2bake4six Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 6:01am by dandelion56602

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 13

I am practicing and testing and am on my third cake and ready to cry...

I just cannot get a decent cake, baked all the way through with a good crumb.

At this point I think I need to try a new recipe.

I've been using the chocolate cake from Santa Monica's Vanilla Bake Shop.

If it's done on the edges, it's raw in the middle. I just made it with a frosting pin in the middle. Oven set at 350, cake over rose and then sank (guess that happened cause it wasn't cooked all the way through) although I baked it for 45 minutes. It was starting to burn on the edges.

Can someone help?

12 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 13

Have you tried using a heating core? This will help cook the middle and sides evenly. The easiest thing to do is to use a flower nail. After you spray your pans, place a flower nail in the middle of the pan and spray as well. Pour your batter into the pan and bake normally. The flower nail will help to distribute the heat to the middle. After the cake is cooled, just flip the cake over and remove the nail. HTH!

Amber

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 13

I bake a 10" square at about 335 vs. the 350. It allows for more even baking. As well, you might want to put a flower nail in the center which is an old trick for larger circumference cakes.

Sorry you are having a bad baking day. icon_sad.gif

Win Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 13

I just noticed you said you used the frosting pin which I am assuming is the same as a flower nail. I think you baked too high too fast. At 335 it takes about 60-65 minutes --slower more consistent baking.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 13

I agree that you should try baking at a lower temperature. I usually bake at 325'.

-Debbie B.

loves2bake4six Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you.

I just send hubby off to the store. I am out of flour, sugar and baking soda after all this.

Would you try the same recipe again or go with something different

I will bake lower, slower and I did use the flower nail (by another name LOL)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 13

Too much batter in the pan could also be the culprit to a cake rising too much and then sinking in the middle.

A 10" sq 2" deep pan only requires 6 cups of batter per the Wilton chart.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Hopefully the link above will help you a bit.

If you are having problems with other recipes baking evenly, I would also suggest checking the temperature of your oven.

Good luck with your next try!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 13

I would suggest 325 w/ the flower nail & I also use the bake even strips. If you don't have them, there are people who cut up strips of towels, soak them & wrap in aluminum foil, wrap around the pan & pin into place.

If you're wanting to try another recipe & doesn't have to be from scratch I would suggest trying WASC. It starts w/ a mix, but it does have more of a scratch texture. Good luck!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 13

325 degrees, bake even strips or wet towel, flower nail. This works perfectly for me. Pans about 2/3 full.

loves2bake4six Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #10 of 13

Thanks for all the help

I have ANOTHER cake in the oven. This time I changed the recipe and am using the one that won the vote on the chocolate scratch thread - Chocolate Fudge Cake Epicurious | August 2004 Toba Garrett

I have it at 325, baking strips and flower nail

It better work although as I was making it I was wondering at the technique - no creaming the butter and sugar first. Hmmmm?

I'll let you know how it comes out

Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #11 of 13

Good luck, keep us posted! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:10am
post #12 of 13

I think you'll like that cake. The first time I made it I was a little worried about the mixing method too, but it came out great and continues to be one of my "go to" chocolate recipes.

Good luck with it!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:01am
post #13 of 13

I also love Hershey's Chocolate cake. If I'm doing scratch it's my go to & to make it "dark" I use the dark cocoa & coffee for the liquid. I have made Toba's & it's lovely as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%