Monogram For Top Of Wedding Cake

Decorating By deetmar Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm by cylstrial

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 18

What is the easiest way to make a Monogram for the top of a wedding cake. The client didn't want to purchase it, and wants me to make it.

17 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 18

Considering you can buy one for $15, what are you charging her to make one?

Anyway, gumpaste with a skewer.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 18

No kidding....mine cost more than the typical ones found online.

deetmar Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 18

I had planned on using my Cricut to make it, but it isn't working out

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 18

I have made them out of royal icing and a skewer. Just pipe the letter onto the front and the back of the skewer. There are two pictures on my profile of cakes that I have made the monograms this way and "N" and a "J". They shouldn't cost more than 15$ for the customer. Just be sure to make a back ups.

deetmar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:04am
post #6 of 18

I Love how yours turned ouy, I will give it a try

Thanks

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:07am
post #7 of 18

I'd sure as heck charge more than $15, especially if I had to make 2 or 3 as backups! icon_surprised.gif As we say about our cakes, if you want custom designed, hand made ...... then you're paying for it. Otherwise, buy the $15 one at the store.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:53am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'd sure as heck charge more than $15, especially if I had to make 2 or 3 as backups! icon_surprised.gif As we say about our cakes, if you want custom designed, hand made ...... then you're paying for it. Otherwise, buy the $15 one at the store.

Thats the thing though. They can either buy one from the store with no benefit to me, or buy one from me and put money in my pocket. I like to try and be a good business woman icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #9 of 18

making 3 monograms for only $15 is not money in my pocket.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:58am
post #10 of 18

Gumpaste rolled out into a snake and shaped into a monogram is quick and easy if you're really in a pinch and want something really easyicon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:09am
post #11 of 18

I made one like the PP - I first printed the font and the size I wanted it out on paper, then rolled the gumpaste into kind of thick rolls - and shaped it over the image on the paper. Inserted skewers into where it would set on the cake before it was dry. Painted it with airbrush sheen colors when it was dry, worked perfectly. Not much time involved, and they loved it.

Artisticweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artisticweddings Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:34pm
post #12 of 18

I use a piece of very thin, but corrugated cardboard. Print out my monogram from the computer, then cover front and back with gum paste. I lay it on foam rubber to dry for a day.You can stick a couple of bamboo skewers in the bottom of it between corrugation and sink it into the cake. This is not time consuming --it took about 15 minutes. You can match the font to a monogram font they might have on their invitations or napkins.
LL

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:22pm
post #13 of 18

call me a cheater, but I cut one out of foam core and then coated it with edible disco dust. Didn't have to make a backup since it wasn't fragile at all.
LL

Artisticweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artisticweddings Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 18

What did you put the disco dust on there with? It looks really nice --and you are not a cheater --you're smart icon_biggrin.gif

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:40pm
post #15 of 18

I made mine out of gumpaste. The bride wanted a very intricate "H" and the business she worked at had a machine that could cut out plastic. She cut me out the letter and i just rolled my gumpaste fairly thick, laid the letter on top, and cut it out with an exacto knife. Then I dusted it with pearl dust. Hope that helps...good luck!

Image[/img]

jax2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jax2008 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 18

I am making my wedding cake and am looking for good recipes but cant seem to find them.. Another thing can you freeze cakes before hand then will they taste ok? THANKS!

deetmar Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:40pm
post #17 of 18

I have decided to take the easy way out and stencil it. I cut out an oval out of gumpaste, and I will stencil it with RI. Thanks for all the great ideas. I just have too much going on this week to deal with it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:52pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoyd

call me a cheater, but I cut one out of foam core and then coated it with edible disco dust. Didn't have to make a backup since it wasn't fragile at all.

MBoyd - I love your V!! It's awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%