What Would Be The Best Cake Recipe To Use For A Topsy Turvy?

Baking By mysonbronson Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 4:24am by milkmaid42

mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 8

I would like to try my hand at my first topsy turvy cake, but would like to know what would be the best cake recipe to use? Do you use a pound cake? Does anyone have a recipe for a good sturdy chocolate cake? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

7 replies
TTran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TTran Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 8

I just made one a 3 tier one. I used Pillsbury box mix. The chocolate is HOOOORRRRIIBBBBLLLLEEEE! Plus, they wanted buttercream only, I tried to crumb coat (never ever do I ever crumbcoat) and the cake has more cake crumbs in the icing than in the cake I think. HOWEVER, the yellow cake mix did perfectly (its the 2nd tier). I'm getting ready to post a picture of the cake, just got it in the fridge to stiffen it up.

I don't bake scratch cakes, I tried once, must have done something wrong becuase it was not good. I have heard though that you need a strong cake for the topsy turvey cakes. Good luck. I'm sure someone can give you a good recipe.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 8

I would do the White Almond Sour Cream cake.... but the chocolate version.
Make sure it is the ORIGINAL WASC....

Of course, if you are doing it from scratch, I am not much help.

Good Luck! If you dont have Sharon's Topsy Turvy video, I highly recommend it!

mysonbronson Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #4 of 8

Thanks TTran. I was wondering if someone had a scratch recipe that I could try. Anyone?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:15am
post #5 of 8

Look at recipe source for cake recipes and they have alot of pound cake recipes.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #6 of 8

This is the chocolate cake recipe I always use. I haven't tried topsy turvy with it yet, but it is sturdy and very moist. My customers really love it.
MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 C. All purpose flour 3 C. Sugar
1 t. Salt 1 C. Veg. Oil
1 t. Baking powder 1 C. Hot coffee (I use instant
2 t. Baking soda de-caf)*
3/4 C. Unsweetened cocoa 1 C. Milk
2 Eggs
1 t. Vanilla extract

Sift together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add oil, coffee and milk. Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat 2 more minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9" pans. Bake 325 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes, or until tests done.
1 recipe yields about 6 C.Batter
1 1/2 recipe yields about 8 C. Batter...Bake about 1 hr. 10 min. at 325.

* The coffee doesn't taste in this recipe. It simply heightens and intensifies the chocolate flavor. Since I don't drink coffee, I use Folgers instant decaf.

* You can't taste the coffee and I use decaf since I don't drink coffee. It really heightens and intensifies the chocolate flavor.

mysonbronson Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you milkmaid42 I will give it a try.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:24am
post #8 of 8

How does one make amends for a typo 6 months later? I wish I could contact everyone who has viewed this post and apologize for a terrible mistake in my recipe for Moist Chocolate Cake.
THE AMOUNT OF SUGAR SHOULD READ 2, (TWO) Cups instead of three. I can't believe I allowed this to slip past my proof reading.
To any of you who had a disaster due to my error, I AM TERRIBLY SORRY! It is truly a delicious recipe and the one I always use. I threw out all my chocolate recipes when I found this one. Please forgive me. (Grovel, grovel!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%