How Long To Bake Cookies?

Baking By Writecakes Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm by Writecakes

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 8

I keep experimenting with baking time but still can't get it right. I went and bought a oven therm. and found out my oven temp was inaccurate, so now that I have that problem fixed, I still can't figure it out. I'm either cooking to long or not long enough and can't seem to find that happy medium. Can you please tell me what you do? What temp do you bake your cookies at and what do I look for to determine if they are done? I'd really appreciate your help with this - I have recipes I'm happy with and ready to go - I just need to get this baking time down and I'll be a happy camper, I mean baker! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 8

When I want a soft cookie with neutral flavor, I cook just until set - no dampness in the middle. If I want the cookies to have more flavor, it's light brown edges. For toasty flavor and a little crunch, I let the edges get brown.

I use NFSC with no leavening for decorating. That rule of thumb works for me for all cookies, though.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 8

I never use a timer anymore. I do the finger push test. I give the edges a slight push and if it's pretty solid ("set", as described above), then they're done. Even if the top of them look damp, they're done. I cool cookies on the parchment covered baking sheet (I dont' move them to a cooling rack), so they will continue to bake a bit from the heat of the pan.

Usually I find if I bake cookies until they "look" done, then they're overbaked.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8

I bake my cookies at 350 until the edges get lightly browned. I found that if i bake them less time, they have a bland flavor.

Writecakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you all so much! icon_smile.gif

Writecakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I never use a timer anymore. I do the finger push test. I give the edges a slight push and if it's pretty solid ("set", as described above), then they're done. Even if the top of them look damp, they're done. I cool cookies on the parchment covered baking sheet (I dont' move them to a cooling rack), so they will continue to bake a bit from the heat of the pan.

Usually I find if I bake cookies until they "look" done, then they're overbaked.

What temp do you bake at? I've heard both 325 and 350. What do you prefer? Also, do you let the cookies completely cool to room temp before removing from the pan? Thanks so much for your input icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writecakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

What temp do you bake at? I've heard both 325 and 350. What do you prefer? Also, do you let the cookies completely cool to room temp before removing from the pan? Thanks so much for your input icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

In my home oven, I baked them at 350. In my shop convection oven, I bake at 300. And I bake ALL cookies at 300. This eliminates remembering/forgetting to re-set the temp.

Writecakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so very much! I can't wait to get this right so I can move on to the fun part! LOL icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%