Customer Comment.. I Need Your Suggestions Please.

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm by patticakesnc

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 10

I had a friend request a sugar free cake. I found a recipe on here and made it. It tasted ok to me, a little sweet but all that splenda will do that to you. Took 5 batches to make the baseball she wanted. The cake looked great to me.

Last night I posted on facebook that I was done with the cake but would not put a photo until the cake was picked by by her today. She responded I know you are a amature but you rock. I know some may see that as a compliment but it really made me question her cofidence in me.

So she stops and picks up the cake today. It broke a little when I flipped it but not bad at all. I pointed it out to her and she said well then i should get a discount and laughed about it. I though she was just kidding and laughed with her. Now I am worried that I should of given her a discount.

I charged her $45 for the cake and had it not been sugar free could of prob been $40. Do you think I overcharged her? So you think I should of given the discount.

It is the baseball cake in my photos.

TIA

9 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 10

No discount, and from now on....don't point out mistakes. They may never even notice.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 10

No discount needed... and in future, never point out your "mistakes" (for lack of a better word). You did a great job!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 10

The cake is great.

Sometimes we can be our own worst critics...

What you could offer to do is give her a discount on her next order...amount would be up to you.

This way you get repeat business and she is getting a deal on pricing, everyone wins icon_smile.gif

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 10

Discount? For what? I do not see a crack. I think the cake looks fine. I am no expert and am not in business but I would say that price is more than fair. Did it cover your costs?

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 10

I find mistakes on every cake I make - mostly because my cakes never seem to match the design in my mind. But since the client doesn't see my imagined design, they don't know my cake is "flawed." Unless the damage is truly obvious - I never point out a mistake to a customer. Even if I'm not confident, (which is nearly every time I deliver) I always hand over the cake with a smile on my face and act as professional as possible. If THEY complain, it's worth addressing, if not - then I know it's just my self-critic coming out to play again and ruin my cake party!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 10

I can totally see how the word amateur would smart.

Doing a sculptured cake with five batches of sugar free cake for eight dollars each is not just amateur-ish.

People respect value. Dollar amount denotes value.

It just ain't easy.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 10

I thought she meant "immature" ... like for using Face book. Totally didn't get she meant "amateur"

You are neither. and giving her a discount would be like paying HER to LET you make her a cake.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks ladies. I have to learn to keep my mouth shut about things.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 10

Ok I am with K8 on this one. $8 per batch. This is suppose to cover your ingredients, power, and time? Not only would it not on a box cake but you were doing a splenda cake....that stuff is VERY expensive. I understand that we look at a cake sometimes and if it is small in comparison to other things we see then we think it should be cheap. But you really have to take into consideration the cost you have in the cake.

As for the cake, it looks great. You should never point out a flaw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%