First Time Torting...please Help!

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 5:50am by letsgetcaking

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:23am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I've never torted a cake with a filling other than buttercream. I've been reading tips from everyone the last few weeks, so I know I need to make a buttercream dam so the raspberry filling I am using does not leak out the sides. I baked two 8" round cakes using the WASC recipe, and they are cooling right now. Here's my question: Once I split them each in half, am I supposed to frost each layer with buttercream and then put the raspberry filling on top of that? Or do I just put the raspberry filling straight on the cake and use the buttercream only for the dam around the edge of each layer? It just seems like it would be really slippery if I put the filling on top of the buttercream.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. My husband is coming home after a six week trip tomorrow, and I am SO excited for him to see this cake I am making for him!

P.S. Do you need to crumb coat your cakes in the same color as you will be using to decorate the outside of the cake, or can you just use white?

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:30am
post #2 of 4

I use the sleeve fillings and they do not need the BC base. Yes, it will be slippery if you do that, which I discovered when I cut other bakers cakes at my weddings and this was the method they used. The sleeve fillings do not soak into the cake at all. They are designed to be used on cakes.

If you're using a homemade filling, I don't know how those work as far as soaking, so I'll leave that for someone else to address.

Remember that will a thinner layer of cake, you use a thinner layer of filling. Too much filling will cause it to be slippery, too.

letsgetcaking Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:47am
post #3 of 4

Thank you for replying so quickly, indydebi! I really appreciate your advice. I will have to look for the sleeve filling next time. Tonight I have the ingredients for a homemade raspberry filling, which just uses Polaner seedless jam mixed with a package of raspberry jello. I'll go ahead and use it directly on the cake. Hopefully, it'll work out well. icon_surprised.gif)

letsgetcaking Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:50am
post #4 of 4

Not again! That was supposed to be a happy face. My emoticons are not translating well. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%