Australian Cc's - Did You Know About This - I Didn't

Decorating By Bluehue Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 1:42am by Elise87

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #31 of 52

have you tried marshmallow fluff with cream cheese whipped together?? DEEEElicious!! it sounds strange, but dang is it good. especially with graham crackers or apples.

Yes it is yummy, My family uses it a lot , we use it with strawberry cream cheese to make a dip for fresh fruit.

CupCake_Caitlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake_Caitlin Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia77

Caitlyn, I live in Tassie too - recently I bought marshmallows direct from Cadburys factory - ohhhhhhhh my goodness!!! Deeeeee-licious!! Soft and fresh and puffy/powdery. Mmm they were good - all white too. If you ever come to Hobart, I'd definitely recommend a visit to Cadburys icon_biggrin.gif

I last went to Cadburys when I was 12. Its amazing what they sell for cheap in the gift shop just cuz the chocolates are a little deformed, lol... I'd still eat them hehe!!
Ooooh, perfect excuse to head that way I believe, cash flow is slow at the moment though, the mine where my partner works is having trouble with mud, so him and many others have been put off. *Bugger*

Anyway, thanks for your replies, atleast I know its not just me who has a bit of trouble finding the things I need

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhendry

Best use for Marshmallow Fluff is on a spoon and into the mouth! YUMMM!!!!! haha

!

I beg to differ!!! One word for you... Fluffernutter!!!!
Spread smooth creamy peanut butter and the fluff on soft white sandwich bread. Momma!!!!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:12am
post #34 of 52

this is not about marshmallows but the best combination is a piece of bread with peanut butter and nutella.....yum!!!

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:36pm
post #35 of 52

Great thread icon_biggrin.gif
Can anyone tell me what is shortening in Australia?? How do you make your crusting buttercream? I have just bought sugarshacks buttercream dvd and find her techniques difficult because i can't even find paper towel without a print on it. Help my Aussie friends icon_smile.gif

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #36 of 52

I tried to find out a much difficult way but going to search and typing in 'Australia' and 'Shortening' - Its Copha (Vegetable Shortening) Ewh! lol I know! But I think the point of using that instead of butter is to make the icing white instead of the yellowy look that we get when using a strong coloured butter.

Aussies dont use shortening - we use butter, there is more threads here on places you may be able to buy online or in special shops you can buy american shortening!

our vegitable shortening you have to melt, where as american keep theres in the cupboard at room tempreture and it is a consistancy of butter!!

I really dont like the texture copha leaves in the mouth, so I try low fat butters that usually have no colour in them, I suggest you ask around what people use instead of butter to get the "white" look icing!!

I think there is also a brand called "So-lite" what people use... but this is just all the imformation I have collected over the time on here!! Others may know more

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #37 of 52

I spent LOTS of time trying to figure the shortening thing out. I ended up with a 15kg box of Solite from a wholesaler. My local cake deco shop was selling "Buttercream Base" for $3.75 for 300gms. When I compared the ingredients they were the same as the solite. I hate the taste of the shortening only buttercreams and would be surprised if there was a lot of demand for it over here. Anyone else want to add their thoughts on that one? I get frustrated though with my colours when I use butter because they are always off.

The least patterned paper towel I have found is one of the cheaper ones from woolworths - I think it might be a "greenie" brand, will have to check. Def not VIVA - ours has patterns all over it! icon_cry.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #38 of 52

It really doesn't matter if it has pictures printed on it though most prefer the white ones. It really only needs to be smooth with no embossed details or punctures or seams like the select a size sheets.

Don't forget you can also use PC paper.

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm
post #39 of 52

I usually use a buttercream base from my local cake shop which i can't really complain about but would have liked to try one of the recipes on CC to see if there is a difference.
I will definately try the PC paper this weekend and see if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

lthiele Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

It really doesn't matter if it has pictures printed on it though most prefer the white ones. It really only needs to be smooth with no embossed details or punctures or seams like the select a size sheets.

Don't forget you can also use PC paper.

Yeah sorry - embossing that's what I meant by patterns. I can't find smooth paper towel anywhere in OZ!

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm
post #41 of 52

Hi

Here in my part of the usa we use fluff for all kinds of things peanutbutter sandwiches with fluff are called fluffenutter, also good in hot chocolate , some use it to make rkt, we have alot of uses for it. And for Duncan Hines It is my favorite, I make all my cakes from this and I have never had any complaints I only use there red velvet I will not make that from scratch.

If you are interested in knowing about any other products before you order just ask us usa folks.

I have always wanted to go to OZ.

Have a great day
Kerri

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:42pm
post #42 of 52

I really hate the colour that the butter makes in my Buttercream, But I love the Flavour!

Colours are always wrong with the yellow tinge... I attempted at making green icing the other day - and not to great, definatly not the colour I was after!!

Solite, I have never used it before. Just found a lighter coloured butter. How does that taste and can you Only get it from a cake goods store!

Oh and I know what you mean about the embossed paper towels. because I'm in a small town there are not many choices and they only seem to stock embossed ones!!

Elise87 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:27pm
post #43 of 52

I only like to use butter in my buttercreams so i just beat it until it's a very pale yellow colour and now i bought some white food colouring i am going to ad to lighten it, i tested it on a small sample and it worked good enough for me!

Also yeh i havn't found any paper towel that isn't texture although as i am typing this i just remembered a bakery i use to work at had paper towel (slightly rougher) but it wasn't patterened at all, but wouldn't know where to get it icon_sad.gif

But i mostly use baking paper or the pc paper instead which is fine icon_smile.gif

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:38pm
post #44 of 52

Well I have a Horrible Butter (Marg) that is Bright Yellow that my Partner likes... Soooooo... I'm stuck, but I started buying seperate butter for cooking, Yellow isnt as Dark and its alot lighter when I mix it up. so I'm winning on this one!! YAY!!

I might add, I havent got a beater, so I do this by hand... Com'on Christmas: beater is on my Xmas list!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:23am
post #45 of 52

Spread smooth creamy peanut butter and the fluff on soft white sandwich bread. Momma!!!![/quote]

TOASTED WITH BUTTER!!!

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Spread smooth creamy peanut butter and the fluff on soft white sandwich bread. Momma!!!!

TOASTED WITH BUTTER!!![/quote]

You all are making me hungry!!!!
Sound YUMMY!! icon_biggrin.gif

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:23am
post #47 of 52

Caitlin, you can buy the Wilton White-White at "All White" in Burnie. It tones down the yellow in your BC really well, and gives you a better base to start colouring.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:58am
post #48 of 52

Take the Fluff, PS, and some favorite flavoring to fill cuppies with.

Mike

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:08pm
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgriffiths

Caitlin, you can buy the Wilton White-White at "All White" in Burnie. It tones down the yellow in your BC really well, and gives you a better base to start colouring.

Havent looked in the store yet. Like I said, I have found a butter/Marg. That isnt strong in colour so I have never needed to look for anything else. Ever since I found this site and signed up everyone here found to make your icing whiter you use shortening (usually for wedding cakes) At some stage I would look for an alternate product, But I'm not in any hurry.
I have looked up a cake store in Burnie on the net which it could be that store, but I just havent been up to check it out! A burnie trip for me only happens every so often and the next time is Xmas shopping, so Hobbies usually dont get priority!!

Thanks for the tip anyway, I'll keep it in mind! I only really wanted to know just incase there is ever a moment when I do need the more whiteish BC. So Thank you

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:30am
post #50 of 52

Violet cancels the yellow tinge butter makes in the icing. Just a touch, now. Too much and it gets a tad gray.

lthiele Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:34am
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Violet cancels the yellow tinge butter makes in the icing. Just a touch, now. Too much and it gets a tad gray.

Ahh haaaa............. so just cancels the yellow, it doesn't badly effect the next colour you put in?

Elise87 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #52 of 52

I remember someone on here say put the butter in the bowl, beat it until it is lighter and by that time it might be too soft so stick it in the fridge for a bit to firm up just slightly so it's not so very soft and then take it out of fridge and add beat again for a bit then add the icing sugar etc as you would usual to make the buttercream and that way the icing won't be as yellow cose it is sort of beaten twice to lighten it more.

I am thinking i might try this the next time i make my buttercream cose i only use butter. I also have the wilton white-white and the americolor white gel to help whiten it up too if need be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%