Last Minute Wedding Cake Help....

Decorating By Megabot Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 6:11am by Melchas

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:39am
post #1 of 8

Ok so I tried out the recipe I'm going to use (WASC) and it was really good. I'm still unsure of how early I can cover the cakes with fondant though because after they are covered they cant go in the fridge/freezer and I was planning on using buttercream and raspberry filling. Help on timing would be appreciated. How early do you cover with fondant and decorate prior to a event. The wedding is on a Sat. but I have to deliver the cake Fri. sometime.

7 replies
my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 4:45am
post #2 of 8

Im new to this too, but a friend of mine who owns her own shop told me this: bake on wednesday and crumb coat, cover with fondant on Thursday, do finishing touches on Friday. HTH

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #3 of 8

If you are using Satin Ice you can put it in the fridge, just don't touch the fondant after you take it out until the condensation is gone. If you do it will leave fingerprints. I didn't know this until recently, and have refriderated all my fondant cakes (I use Satin Ice) from here on out. Even SI chocolate fondant and airbrush SI doest just fine.

There is one other, maybe Michelle Foster homemade fondant I heard does well, but I don't remember if it was her's or not, but I think it was.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 8

I have also refridgerated fondant with no issues. You just have to make sure it has time to come up to room temperature (and let the condensation evaporate) before your presentation.

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:27am
post #5 of 8

I recently did an experimaent with BC and MMF the fridge and the freezer.
I had a friend who really wanted me to make her son's first b-day cake, but I was going on vacationthe week before the party. i told her i would make to small cakes, cover one with fonadnt and on with BC and freeze them, then refrigerate and see how they taste.
I had them in my freezer for ten days and the fridge for one and she said they were delicious and more moist than usual.
I ended up making and freezing her son's cake for 6 days (the crab cake in my photos) and got rave reviews from everyone at the party. No one but her knew it was frozen.
I wouldn't do this every time, but in a pinch it was helpful.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:31am
post #6 of 8

I also have put my fondant in the fridge. I have put satin ice, michelle fosters fondant and mmf. I haven't had a problem. Not promising anything but just saying I personally have not had a problem. But think about it. If you watch Cake Boss, buddy puts his cakes in the walk in fridge doesn't he? They use fondant and gumpaste.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 5:32am
post #7 of 8

I have read a couple times in here how freezing cake makes it moist....but you cannot put the fondant on until it is completely thawed I think or you could have troubles. I have not tried this myself, however I know putting cake with fondant in fridge causes sweating and I didnt care at all for that

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 6:11am
post #8 of 8

Actaully, when I am covering a sculpted cake with fondant, I always put in the freezer first, that way it holds it's shape while I am covering it.
As for the condensation, if you let it sit for awile and come TO room temp it will "dry out" and be just fine. you do have to let it sit though or it will be tacky and pick up finger prints.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%