How Do I Make Pearl Dots On Fondant ?

Decorating By nancysmom Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 2:32am by -K8memphis

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #1 of 6

I was asked to make a cake with pearl drops randomly on the cake. Do I use royal icing or butter cream? on mmf cake. what tip do I use #2?Also how do I get them to look like a real pearl? I have seen lots that look sloppy and with a point. Please help. I truly appreciate any help. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 6

I make my pearls from fondant. I take a tip size 7 to 12 or larger, depending on the size of pearl I am needing, and cut the rolled fondant. Roll into a ball. I put them in a container, bowl with lid, and ad some luster dust/pearl dust and then shake them around a bit. They are now pearlized. Take water and dab a little to cake and attach pearl.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 6

I'd use royal and the tip you use depends on how large of a "pearl" you want. To help prevent the point, stop the pressure before pulling away. If you do end up with any points, fix them before the icing hardens with a small paint brush dampened with water. Once they are dry, you can brush them with luster dust to make them shimmer.

The other option is to attach edible pearls to the fondant using royal as "glue".
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=624&SubCatId=1678

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 6

Two more ways:

One is to pipe in buttercream, dip your finger in cornstarch and pat down the points, paint with pearl dust mixed with either lemon extract or vodka or everclear, some kind of clear alcohol.

Two is to pipe with royal icing that has enough added water so that the pointy tips sink in of their own accord (Toba Garrett) but still stay perfectly round--it's not hard to get it at that point.

But I add gum arabic to my royal (K8t) icon_biggrin.gif so the pearl is made in one squeeze of the piping bag. They're real lustrous from the gum arabic.

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 6

thank you all for your wonderful tips. K8memphis were do I find this gum arabic? I am new at this. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 6

Like three bucks-ish, Global Sugar Art.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%