Allergic To Corn And Cow's Milk

Decorating By chelseak Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm by saffronica

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 3

How do I make icing or marzipan without using anything with cornstarch in it? All the icing sugar I have seen has cornstarch in it. She says she uses goat's milk in place of cow's for baking, will that be ok? Making a chocolate cake that is going to be carved...

Also what would you charge for a small (but carved) lightening mcqueen smash cake with those dietary restrictions? Am I supposed to charge more for cakes like that? I am a newbie!! Please help me!
Thanks!

2 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 3

Personally, especially depending on the severity of the allergy...I wouldn't even try. The equipment you use and your kitchen can still have traces of those ingredients on there. I don't do any cakes for allergies or anything because under normal circumstances, all that stuff is still in my kitchen.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 3

3GCakes makes a good point -- you should definitely discuss that with your customer.

A meringue buttercream might be an option if you can find a good butter substitute. If you must use a shortening-based frosting, you could try making super-fine sugar by running granulated sugar through your food processor (or blender). It won't be as fine as powdered sugar, but it will be closer.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%