First Cake Ever And A Couple Of Questions

Decorating By labelle123 Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm by labelle123

labelle123 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 3

This is our first cake (my husband & myself). Going away cake for my sil--(we love dia de los muertos). Some observations-- we made Michelle Foster's fondant recipe in our 1970's sunbeam mixmaster--the motor blew up within seconds so hubster had to mix it all by hand--so not too bad considering!

The photo is my photo section, not sure how to put a link to that in here tho--

It's missing some gumpaste goodies, we left the gumpaste little skulls and flowers on the counter to dry--counter surfing lesson learned when you have a saint bernard and an english mastiff, 2 flowers were completely gone and the little skulls had teeth marks in them! Luckily we could just tell my sil not to eat them icon_smile.gif

I was going to put a black ribbon fondant around the bottom, but couldn't get a black color using the wilton colors, so I scrapped it and then ran out of time so the bottom is not very pretty icon_sad.gif --should I just buy black fondant next time?

Also, I tried the paper towel method to smooth the icing before the fondant (chilled the cake for an hour first), and the paper towel took off a nice area of icing--am I doing something wrong?

Also, I guess we need a new mixer now--any suggestions?

2 replies
Rylan Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 3

The cake looks really cool and I give you bonus points for your own style.

It takes a lot of food coloring to get black. I suggest you get premade.

It seems like the icing hasn't crusted very well enough for the papertowel to stick to it. Maybe it's the recipe?

labelle123 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! Sounds like buying the black would be easier--
I think it was the icing, not crusting enough probably.
On to cake 2!

Quote by @%username% on %date%