Returning Cake Dummies?

Decorating By adree313 Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 7:53pm by adree313

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 7

i was just wondering, when you all use cake dummies in cakes, do you ask for them to be returned to clean and reuse them? or do you just factor them into the overall cost of the cake and use new ones each time?

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 7

I want nothing back. Ever. The cost is worked in. Now that said, a couple of times a planner friend of mine has tossed them into a bag and held onto them until I saw her next, and I took them back. Cleaned up, ready for display dummy creations!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 7

The more disposable everything is, the better EVERYONE likes it. Can't tell you how many hugs I've gotten from venue staff when I tell them "It's all disposable ... I don't need anything back."

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 7

Ditto... I can't be bothered taking deposits on a piece of styrofoam, plates and dowels or a masonite board... it's all in the cost of the cake, so they can do whatever they want with it after.

adree313 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for all the input everyone!

since i only do cakes for family right now (for free), i'll probably ask for them back (when i get some that is icon_rolleyes.gif ). but yes, it does make sense to make as much as possible disposable when working with ACTUAL clients.

again, thanks icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 7

Adree: Just imagine charging, oh let's say $15 deposit for one stupid 10" square styro dummy. Person calls, says they'll be at your house in 10 minutes to drop it off. 30 minutes go by. Shoot! You're gonna be late to meet your friends for the movies. 45 minutes...oh your phone is ringing! It's dumb dumb with the dummy! She's stuck in traffic, but she'll be there in teeeeeeeen more minutes-she SWEARS! You-grrrrrr, ok fine. I'll wait 10 more minutes. 30 more minutes.....now you've missed the start of the movie, your friends aren't waiting for you and you are probably hot and bothered and pissed by now. Over a stupid piece of styrofoam. Nah, I'll pass on that kind of aggravation! icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 7

haha, i completely understand. i don't need that added stress factor... especially since my temper has been known to go off with just ooooone little thing going unexpectedly wrong here and there. icon_biggrin.gif

edited so i didn't sound like i'm ALWAYS getting angry icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%