Need Some Help On A Wedding Cake. Storing, Dowels Oh My!

Decorating By kimpa Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm by KHalstead

kimpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimpa Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I am doing my first wedding cake for this weekend. And I and my daughter are in the wedding!!! icon_surprised.gif What was I thinking.

Ok here are my questions where I need help. Type of cake: white cake, buttercream icing with ivory fondant

1. All cakes are frozen right now. Can I take them out today after work and level, fill, crumbcoat while frozen or slightly frozen? Then I want to ice the cakes before I go to bed. Should I store in the refrig or out?

2. I won't put the tier together until I get to the reception (4 tiers). I am using SPS supports. When should I put in the dowels (after decorating before building at reception) and how should I store (in refrig or out). I usually store in the refrig however, once at the venue the cake is going to sit out for 5 hours before cutting.

Thanks for any advice you have

Kim

4 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5

take the largest layer out first and fill and stack while it is still frozen it will be easier to handle that way.... then after they are all filled and cumb coated you will need to rest until they are thawed... you can go ahead and frost if you are useing buttercream but it will sweat as it thaws

I assume you are not using a filling that needs to be refridgerated. in that case leave it out. if it is a filling that can spoil you need to store in a fridge.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 5

If you are using SPS you can put the legs and plate (which you put together before putting into the cake) into each of the tiers before you get to the venue. That way you can just slid the top tiers into place without having to measure, etc. You really could stack the whole cake at home and take it in one piece (provided you can lift it!) - it would be fine!

kimpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimpa Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 5

I am not even taking the chance of putting it all together and driving 25 miles. Not the way I drive icon_redface.gif

Thanks for everyone's input.

Would you leave the cake layers out once decorated or put them in the refrig

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 5

I use sps and travel with them separately (cuz I'm a fraidy cat), but I cut the dowels to length and put the plate w/ legs into the top of each cake (as needed) and then box them up. Then when I get to where the wedding is, I unbox and stack the cakes and pipe on borders. Don't refrigerate if you're using fondant......just makes for more headaches.....and make sure the cakes aren't still frozen when you put on the fondant. Frosting them when frozen is ok, but it does seal in the cold making it take even longer for the cakes to thaw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%