Brush Embroidery

Decorating By sambugjoebear Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 11:23pm by ninatat

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 9

I am attempting brush embroidery for the first time tonight for a cake being donated to a silent auction. I think I have the main concept down, but if anyone would chime in with specific directions/tips/tricks, I would really appreciate it icon_smile.gif Thanks!

8 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 9

i love brush embrodery, my teacher in class said she would only do on someone's cake that was a close friend, we used the 6 pedal cutter just lightly press in buttercream, us a tip like 3 and outline, make the outline thick, I had bought some brushes at the dollar store that turned out to have a stiffer bristles than i need to paint, but i took one and cut into it with my scisors giving it a uneven edge, it works great, you can use the flavorings, alcohol, ect, the secret is keeping your brush wet, you take your brush put it on your piped line and pull towards the middle of the flower you won't get to the middle right away, and you may not want to, it's kind of like feathering until you like the look, i've even taken another color and feathered that in too when i'm done with the wet brush i kind of lightly tap down the outline. hope this helps.

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 9

I too love brush embroidery. Here's 2 videos (also love videos, easiest way for me to learn).

Buttercream on buttercream
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6r8MYHYz00

Royal Icing on Fondant/Gumpaste
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbDTaauGO0

Thank you to Serious Cakes and Elaine MacGregor (I wonder where she got the beautiful design?)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 9

I love brush embroidery. I think it is one of the easiest techniques out there -- it's just time consuming. I think the consistency of the royal is the key.

I suggest you try white on white so you don't get frustrated in case you have mistakes.

ninatat Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 9

wow i love the serious cake video's and the peach cake, i didn't know you could do it on fondant, wish i had some cakes to make, i think i'll make one tomorrow anyway, thanks for the video, so do you use the royal icing instead of the bc, and the second one she did on the plaque do you just put the plaque on the cake or was that an example

ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 9

hi all do you know if she was using the plaque gumpaste she painted as an example for what you would do on buttercream or fondant as an impression, thanks

ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 9

oh no i know the royal icing is for the impression

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 9

OMG - I LOVE brush embroidery. I do it on BC as well as fondant AND I do it WITH BC or royal. I did BC on my flip flop cake in my pix which was covered in BC too. Same concept for either BC or fondant. The key is "not too much water" when pulling the icing. thumbs_up.gif

ninatat Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 9

ok on the second video she was great but she made a gumpaste base and used royal to use for impression was that just for demonstration,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%