Wilton Fondant Success?

Decorating By Motta Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm by K82me

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:58am
post #1 of 11

I know it tastes nasty. I like it's consistency, though. Has anyone ever tried flavoring it like it says on the box - added some vanilla or almond extracts? I've been meaning to try it but never found the time.

10 replies
kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:19am
post #2 of 11

Some people like it, some don't... I just can't get past the chemically aftertaste, even after adding flavorings. But maybe I just didn't add enough, not sure. I gave up and developed my own recipe after one Wilton experience!

(I agree, though, it's GREAT to work with...)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:14am
post #3 of 11

If you're just practicing, doing a dummy cake, or making pieces that will be dried (and so not eaten), going with the Wilton fondant makes perfect sense as it is sooo much cheaper than the other pre-mades. For me, though, if people are going to be eating the fondant, I use Satin Ice, as it actually tastes good. (One of these days I'll get around to trying out MMF and MFF etc, I swear!)

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:27am
post #4 of 11

Even my kids won't dare to put the Wilton in their mouths.......

but the Satin Ice??? I have to hide it in a locked cupboard along with the booze. icon_wink.gif

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 11

Actually I love the taste of Fondarific (especially Mocha)! In my area, Wilton fondant is the same price as the others - $29.99 for 5 lbs at Michaels but you can use your weekly coupons to make it almost half price.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 11

I hae never tried to flavor the wilton. I just dont want to mess with the consistency and I am afraid it will. I give my clients a choice and if they want the yummy fondant I get Fondarific (i love the buttercream). If they dont want to spend the extra $$ I use wilton. A bit unconventional I guess but it works for me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 11

I've flavored it with the concentrated candy oils. It doesn't effect the consistancy as much as the extracts do.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've flavored it with the concentrated candy oils. It doesn't effect the consistancy as much as the extracts do.

Me too, and it actually tasted better, not too much better, but better

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 11

I mix Wilton fondant with Satin Ice - probably 2/3 Satin Ice to 1/3 Wilton, maybe? It tastes much better than straight Wilton, not quite as good as Satin Ice (but still good - and definitely edible), and it works wonderfully.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 11

very good to know cause I like Wilton's consistency but hate the taste.

I use Wilton's for figures and decorations only...and I love those little bottles of candy flavorings.

I use them in my cookies and cupcakes...very yummy!

K82me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K82me Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 11

I flavor Wilton fondant with Clear Vanilla and it tastes pretty good. People peel it off sometimes! Where do you find Satin Ice?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%