What Sizes Look Best Tiered?

Decorating By cjcakie Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm by prterrell

cjcakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjcakie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 4

I'm wondering what sizes look best tiered? Can you put a 6" on an 8" or 9" or should you do a 8 on top of a 9?
You can tell I'm new to this! Thanks

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 4

Cakes look best with a 3" or 4" difference in size. You can do a 2" difference in size, but IMHO that doesn't give enough definition or enough deco room. Never do just 1" difference in size unless you are going to carve it down into a mountain! icon_biggrin.gif

6"-9"-12" and 6"-10"-14" are common tier sizes. You can do 6"-8"-10", but like I said above, I prefer the larger size differences.

HTH!

cjcakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjcakie Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 4

That does help! I'd like to stack two high. So you think my best bet is 6 and 9? Cake needs to serve 50. Cakes will be two layer torted and filled. Does that make sense?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 4

Yup, makes sense. 6-9 will look great, but only gives you 44 servings (using the wilton guide, which is pretty much the industry standard). 6-10 will give you exactly 50 servings using the wilton guide. If you want larger slices of cake, then you will need to go even bigger. Personally, I'd make an 8-12 or a 9-12, but then my friends and family tend to eat a lot of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%