Who Has Dummy Cakes In Display Windows??

Business By Michelle104 Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 1:38am by Michelle104

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 11

I have a display window in my new shop and it's pretty sunny. I want to put some dummies in the window to attract interest but I'm not quite sure what to cover them with because of the sun. Do I need to go with the perma-ice because of this issue or will royal and fondant still work??

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 11

I have BC covered dummies in my window. Depending on the color, they are fine. Reds, purples and oranges will fade because of the red dye issue. My ivories, chocolate, whites, blues are holding up fine. some are 2 years old. (I really need to make new ones!)

Michelle104 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I have BC covered dummies in my window. Depending on the color, they are fine. Reds, purples and oranges will fade because of the red dye issue. My ivories, chocolate, whites, blues are holding up fine. some are 2 years old. (I really need to make new ones!)

So you just cover and decorate them with the bc just like you would a regular cake? Do you have to put piping gel or anything on them first? I really want to get something in my window! It's driving me crazy. Right now there's an apron that has a cupcake on it and a decorative cake stand that matches my shop colors. Definitely lacking a display for the display window! icon_confused.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 11

I use fondant on mine. I've also installed awnings, which keep out direct sunligt, but light still does come in, and they fade. If they start fading I've actually painted some of the decorations with paint!

indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 11

Nope, i just slap the BC right on the dummy. When adhered to styrofoam, it turns hard as concrete. Kids love it at the shows and in my shop when I tell them, "Sure! You can touch it!" When I want to change it, I just run a knife or spatula under the BC and it pops off in sheets.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 11

You can also use acrylic paint to color your fondant to prevent fading. Its a horribly sticky mess, but it works! (thanks Ilene!)

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 11

I just finished a bunch of dummies in royal icing, never considered buttercream! It would have been a WHOLE lot easier to work with. I didn't think buttercream would ever dry that hard.. learn somethin' new everyday. Thanks, Debi!

Michelle104 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much girls! Debi, I'm gonna try the buttercream since that's what I'm most used to working with and we'll see how it turns out! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 11

Kansas, I make a "cheap" version of BC ... no vanilla and no dream whip (not eating it anyway).

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 11

Good to know, Debi 'cause I've got a big box full of dummies I just turned my back on and RANNNnnnn away after I'd about puked working with that much royal.

BTW--I'm setting up shop! I'll fill in the details later icon_smile.gif

Michelle104 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #11 of 11

YEAH LAURA!!!!!! Can't wait to hear the details!! I just had my opening day on the 11th! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%