Mmf Bow Help

Decorating By Kbbaby Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm by Kbbaby

Kbbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kbbaby Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 4

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I had 4 small batches of fondant which seemed fine, mixed them together, and added red color. As I continued to add red to the fondant to get it more red, I could tell the texture of the fondant started to change, almost like it started to get a little crumbly. As I rolled it out, it seemed ok. I cut my strips, but as I started to make the loops, they started to crack in the middle toward the outer edges. They looked awful! The only thing I can think of is I might not've gotten my fondant thin enough, it was a little thicker than 1/8 inch, but I don't think it would've caused them to crack? I don't know! If you can help me in any way, that'd be great! Thanks!

3 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 4

i'm thinking you need to use more crisco and mix it more. are you putting your loops on their side to dry or you can stuff the insides with paper towel. i don't make my bows really thin. hope this but the thickness shouldn't make that much difference, i've made the 2 loop bow like the bow tie and made that thin, but i still think maybe one of them may have gotten a little dry. i alway's use crisco when using older fondant us can nuke it for about 4 sec to. i use mm fondant. hope this helps

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 4

It's the red color. Usually it takes so much red that by the time you get it dark enough, it's kind of crumbly.

The best way to get around it is to add the color when you add the water. You can also make your bow pink and then paint it red once it has dried.

Kbbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kbbaby Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help. I had a feeling it was all the red I added. I will definitely try adding it with the water and I'll see how that works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%