Which Do You Prefer? Honest Opinions Needed

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 12

Hey guys!
Do you guys prefer a shop that has the same flavors to choose from daily with a special flavor of the day? Or certain flavors certain days of the week. For instance
Monday: choc,straw,van
Tues: Peanut Butter, boston cream, etc

I understand the concept of the different flavors for different days but is it the best thing to do? Btw, this is for cupcakes. I already have the cake flavors down. My thinking is....people may not want peanut butter, etc, on tuesday, but just wanted a regular chocolate cupcake and because I only offer it on wed they walk away empty handed, disappointed, & not to mention I may have lost a customer that day or period. I also see why people do it, but I feel like it's not the best idea. Confused, what do you think? I'm leaning toward the comfort favorites with a few specialty flavors of the week. You tell me what your opinion is! TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 12

I think having a list of regular flavors that are available every day is good, and then you could do one specialty flavor each day in addition to the regular ones.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think having a list of regular flavors that are available every day is good, and then you could do one specialty flavor each day in addition to the regular ones.

That is what I would do. The people wanting the specialty cuppies will always come back for their day, much like a soup of the day, looking forward to their indulgence. Those wanting to be simple basic cuppie buyers would always have that for them and their kids.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 12

Yep - I wanna know if I feel like my favourite cupcake from your shop, I dont have to wait 3 days to get it - craving GONE!! I think always have your standard best sellers and a specials board! (You'll soon figure which ones of those should be on the regular list too when people ask for them!) icon_biggrin.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 12

I was recently in a specialty cupcake shop while on vacation. How do you know if they are any good? I get the basics: vanilla with chocolate and chocolate with vanilla.

They didn't have that. They only had two gourmet flavor buttercreams on vanilla cake and one fat-free and maybe two dozen cupcakes in the store in total. I spent the rest of my vacation explaining to my wife that if Cupcakes are what you do - MAKE CUPCAKES! My wife didn't care.

That said - have all the basics covered and have plenty of 'em. Then rotate the others in like planned. As someone said before, the good sellers become regulars.

But if I go into your shop at noon and can't get a vanilla with chocolate frosting, I'll think you are nuts.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 12

I think it's best to have a standard set of flavors that are available every day, and then a rotating set of specials that you change daily (or on whatever schedule you like). Then if you see a special flavor that becomes HUGELY popular, you can always add it to the staple list, and just the same if one of your standard flavors doesn't sell consistently, you can move it to the rotating list... nothing is set in stone, you can change it as you get a better sense of what your customers want.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with everyone else. If I try to get a standard flavor and can't, most likely I'll leave unhappy. If I try a few times and haven't quite gotten the right day for that flavor, I'm likely to not come back at all. Definitely have the standards for everyday, and the specials are something to look forward to and something to contemplate trying when in the store. Then, if I'm not entirely certain I'll like the special of the day, I may just get one anyway, to try, along with my standard flavor so I know I'll something I like. I have frequently bought more than I'd planned that way.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 12

I agree with everyone else. If I try to get a standard flavor and can't, most likely I'll leave unhappy. If I try a few times and haven't quite gotten the right day for that flavor, I'm likely to not come back at all. Definitely have the standards for everyday, and the specials are something to look forward to and something to contemplate trying when in the store. Then, if I'm not entirely certain I'll like the special of the day, I may just get one anyway, to try, along with my standard flavor so I know I'll something I like. I have frequently bought more than I'd planned that way.

wily_kitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wily_kitt Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 12

I would do the standard menu of flavors with a special flavor each day. I think most people like to know what to expect when they walk in a shop.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 12

the cupcake shop in town does atandard flavors everyday, then has specialty flavors for certain days of the week. If I do buy one, I always go on Thursday when she has my favorite flavors. By the way, she usually sells out on average everyday, an hour before the store closes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I agree with everyone else. If I try to get a standard flavor and can't, most likely I'll leave unhappy.

Me, too. There's a national food chain restaurant that I HATE to go to because you can't get "regular" anything. Unfortunately, it's my sister's favorite place to have lunch, so I suffer thru it when I spend time with her.

I can't get a regular salad because their salads all have goat chese or garbonzo beans or asian sauerkraut on them. I can't get a regular cheeseburger, because they only have "gourmet" cheeseburgers with alfalfa sprouts or guacamole sauce or gummy worms on them.

I just want a cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato; I just want a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, maybe a ring of onion. You know ... REGULAR food!!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks you guys! It's great to know I was on the right track! Indy you're a riot and I feel ya! When you want regular.........you want regular. I am going to stick to the standard flavors with rotating specials!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%