Tie Dye Effect On Buttercream?

Decorating By GottaLuvCake Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 10:23am by bbmom

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:39am
post #1 of 2

I have a request for tie dye effects on a birthday cake. I like to use buttercream and do not have an airbrush. The cake will most likely be white with tie dye spots all over it. Any suggestions???
Thanks

1 reply
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:23am
post #2 of 2

I have the Whimsical Bakehouse book and they do a tie dye effect like this..."Fill and crumb the cake as usual, chill. Meanwhile prepeare 1/2 c each of 6 different colors. With metal spatula press thick dollops of each color randomly around the cake, covering crumb coat. This can be as messy as you want, but try to keep each color block pure. Chill cake again until firm to touch. With a hot metal spatula (dip in hot water, dry off) scrape excess buttercream to make cake smooth. The colorblocks will remain as they were applied without running into one another and muting. "
I did this a while back and it does look nice, the colors kind of meld into each other where they join.
Another idea is, ice the cake white, then immed, before it crusts, take your prepared colors and drizzle on top of the cake, drag a spatula through it from center towards edge to create a starburst.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%