Has Anyone Made A Tiramisu Cake Before

Decorating By sugarprincess Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 10:16am by Jen80

sugarprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarprincess Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 5

My husband's birthday is in October and I want to try 2 different cakes. One is the Italian cream cake and the other one is Tiramisu. I could make the traditional tiramisu but I want to wrap chocolate around it so I figured if it was in cake form it would be easier. Has anyone tried this before?

4 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:35am
post #2 of 5

You can make tiramisu in cake form. You will need a spring form (the one in two pieces you can open). You need to remember, that tiramisu will stay soft and traditional tiramisu doesn't have solid bottom. Best is to give it bottom layer from sponge cake.

You can wrap chocolate around it - actually I would do it other way: Bake a layer of sponge cake. Take it out from the form and prepare the cake pan again - lay a cake board (the separator plate type) on the bottom. Measure the height of cake form, cut strip of parchment long enough to go around the cake. Paint it with chocolate and wrap it around the cake pan, the parchment going on the outside - imagine wrapping the yet non existent cake. Carefully lay the sponge layer in it and continue to make the tiramisu as usually. Let it firm up. After releasing from the spring form, you should only need to peel of the parchment strip.

And here is a picture of tiramisu cake (not mine) http://www.chytrazena.cz/gal/fotky52/maxi/1252757728-7922.jpg

Good luck to you!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:35am
post #3 of 5

Yes, this is one wrapped in chocolate that I made for my dad a couple of weeks ago. Check out the size of my toffee!! icon_lol.gif

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6741/img1540o.jpg

I made mine out of chocolate cake but they're usually made out of Genoise Sponge.

I covered the top of each layer with the syrup (kahlua, coffe, sugar) then covered each layer with the cream (egg yolks, mascarpone cheese, cream)

I wrapped the cake in chocolate after it was all assembled.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:03am
post #4 of 5

I made this tiramisu layer cake for our anniversary this year and it was delish! Not quite traditional tiramisu but you get the same effect.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:16am
post #5 of 5

I should add that it's best to assemble the cake the day before so the syrup sinks well into the layers. Needs refrigerating. I would do the chocolate wrap the next day.
Mine was a rush job so I did it all in one day.

I got the recipe for the syrup and cream from a book called 'Making Beautiful Cakes' by Family Circle. I borrowed it from the library and I just had to have it so I ordered one from eBay. icon_lol.gif
It also tells you how to do a chocolate wrap but there is a great tutorial on CC.

Let me know if you would like the recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%