Everything I Always Wanted To Know About Larger Cakes

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 5:40am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:44am
post #1 of 6

I am making a 11x13 sheet cake for the first time as I am new to baking. Are these larger cakes normally layered/torted? If so what is the easiest way to do this with it being so large? I also plan on using the WASC mix for the first time. How many cups would I need for this? Lastly, any other helpful tips for baking this size cake? Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:01am
post #2 of 6

Whether you make an 11x13 single layer cake or traditional two layer cake depends on how many servings you need. icon_smile.gif

When I make layer cakes, I generally use filling between the layers. But you can certainly torte and fill both layers while using frosting between the layers.

To make working with larger layers a bit easier, try freezing to firm them up for torting or stacking. (Use a cake board or cookie sheet to manipulate them without breaking.)

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble stacked/tiered/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread contains popular CC recipes for crusting American b/c's, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC with flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 6

Still confused, sorry. lol The 11X15 I baked..would I split that and fill? If so each layer would be 1 1/2 inches correct?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:53am
post #4 of 6

If you wish to torte your single layer, you may certainly do so!

Since you think each torted layer will be 1-1/2", I'm assuming you started with an 11/13x15x3 layer.

HTH

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:17am
post #5 of 6

If you are going to cut the sheet cake in half you can use a flat cookie pan to slide under top cut to remove it from bottom half. I usually do not split a sheet cake, but you can.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:40am
post #6 of 6

Splitting something that big is just asking for trouble. If you really want a torted cake, then I'd bake a 2nd one and put that on top. I would use a large cake board to slide the top onto the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%