So After My Cake Mishap...this Is What Came Of It

Decorating By buggus Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 2:17am by CakeMommyTX

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 9

I'm still disappointed. Because I left everything to the last minute, this cake is not my best. I'm just hoping the bride is happy with it. I know it'll taste good, but for appearances sake, you can see so many flaws. Truly not my best work. This is only my 2nd wedding cake, and the biggest cake I've ever made, so I knew it wouldn't be perfect, but I don't like that you can see the flaws in the pics.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1459009&done=1

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 9

I left a comment on your pic, and it somehow left off the last part of HARDEST. You did fine. You know what you need to do for the next one, and I am sure they will love it. We are always hardest on ourselves. And for what you went through for this cake, I'd say it looks great!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 9

Truly not as bad as you think. I looked at the pic before I saw your post. When I clicked on the link I was expecting a disaster but saw it was a cake I already saw.

I think you did pretty good, I don't see a mess anywhere! Sure, you are going to see things you wish were better or different we all do on our own cakes. icon_wink.gif

You dun good! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 9

I tided up the photo a bit in case that would make you feel better.

Considering what kinds of problems that cake gave you, it's a really good-looking cake and instead of focusing on the flaws you should be proud that you managed to pull through and get it done icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif and have it look that good.

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 9

I think it looks great- smooth frosted cakes like that with no frills are always impossible to get perfect enough for the decorator! I'm sure everyone else loved it.

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 9

Texas-rose, that's what it should've looked like..thanks. That's okay, I'm chalking it up to experience. I've told the Bride and Groom if they weren't happy with it, they could have their money back.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 9

Buggus - don't tell them up front you will give them their money back.....EVER! They honestly may be very happy with the cake - and will wonder why in the world you would say that! You WAIT and see if they have any complaints then decide what direction to go. No way should that be a free cake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggus

Texas-rose, that's what it should've looked like..thanks. That's okay, I'm chalking it up to experience. I've told the Bride and Groom if they weren't happy with it, they could have their money back.

Actually...people are usually more impressed with our cakes than we are! I would never offer money back unless they come and complain...otherwise yeah, they are going to find something to ask their money back for!

There have been times I've been unhappy with a cake only to have the customer just be in LOVE with it! So just smile and present the cake and see if the customer feels the same way you do. Usually they will not..but if they do, they will say something.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #9 of 9

Plain frosted cakes with no decor are the hardest by far for me.
I've only done a few and I dread them, not to mention it's square which adds another degree of difficulty.
I think you did good and it's only your second wedding cake!
It's never as bad as we think it is, what we as decorators view as a complete disaster other non-cakers see as a masterpiece.
Its good, don't worry about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%