Which Kind Of Fondant?

Decorating By peony421 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm by peony421

peony421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peony421 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 7

I have made MMF quite a few times. I've done well with it, but it seems to dry really fast and honestly it's a pain and messy to make. I have a cake I'm making in the next few weeks and was thinking of getting satin ice. But I've come accross other brands as well, Fonderiffic and Fondx. What are you opinions of which is the best? I will use it for covering cake as well as decorations (stripes, circles). Also if I wanted it to be more sturdy you can gumtex to it? How do you do that? Would these all be ones I could color on my own as well? I'm thinking of just getting white and coloring it myself. Thanks so much for your input.

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I have read loads of positive comments about Satin Ice. I would rather buy the already coloured fondant than colouring it myself. When you knead the fondant a lot it might change the texture. If you want to add gumtex to the fondant to make accents, add 1/2 a teaspoon of gumtex to 250g of fondant.

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 7

Fonderific and Satin Ice are great, Fonderific Has fruity flavors, and is a lot more expensive than Satin Ice, Satin Ice has colors too, and the choocolate taste like tootsie roll, and the White tastes like Marshmallow, Yes you can use Gum Tex or you can also use tylose they do the same thing, Tylose does not have that scent that Gumtex has, and it is also white, Just add a reasonable amount, to your fondant and knead it in, and yes you can buy white and color it in, Americolor is better than Wilton Gel Colors that Is. GlobalSugarArt.com has good prices

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 7

I have never used or tried Fondx or fonderiffic so I can not comment as to taste or ease of use. But the fruit flavors sound interesting icon_smile.gif

I have used Virgin (great consistency taste ok) and Satin Ice which is my preferred fondant.

I find Satin Ice very easy to work with and adding color is a cinch because it is very pliable and easier to kneed.

The only thing I could say about Satin Ice that would be negative is that it is very soft and does tear easily if you role it out to thin.

I use Satin Ice for covering all my cakes but will use Virgin fondant for mixing with gumpaste to make figure or flowers. I find that it has a better drying time and holds up well without drooping or sagging when making figures or anything standing.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 7

Although tons of people use Satin Ice, I'm not impressed with the taste (I still use it though). I suggest you will have to try them and see what suits your taste.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 7

I've only used MMF and Satin Ice. I actually prefer MMF over Satin Ice but because my schedule is so hectic I normally use Satin Ice to save time. Satin ice is really soft and tears more than MMF. If you can afford the precolored I'd get that but Satin ice mixes really well because it is so pliable.

peony421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peony421 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 7

can you color the fonerific? I don't want to buy all different colors for a little bit that I need in other colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%