Wet/wet Technique?

Baking By ButtacreamRose Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm by luv2bake6

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 14

How is the wet/wet technique done? Do the icings have to be the same consistency? TIA

13 replies
cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 14

I just dot, squiggle and stripe the colors on a base coat. They're all the same consistency. Then you can pull your toothpick thru to make new designs. Simply putting one dot on top of another makes a cool effect.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 14

What is the wet/wet technique?

ButtacreamRose Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

What is the wet/wet technique?

The basecoat is wet and the detail icing is the same consistency as the basecoat as cindy58 said. I've never tried it but it seam like it would be messy.It just looks really cool.Examples are spider webs,polka dots,and tie dye.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 14

I still don't get it. Pictures please.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 14

I've done a lot of this on my cookies...look at the marbling effect on the fall leaves, or the halloweeen cookies--spider webs, and I've done it as stitching on baseballs, etc. I have pictures in my photo gallery. Cool technique!

ButtacreamRose Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 14

charman... Do you use a smaller tip or an eye dropper to do the details?

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 14

I've never used an eyedropper...seems messy. I use the squeeze bottles with various size tips...then toothpicks if necessary.

ButtacreamRose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:52am
post #9 of 14

charman....The squeeze bottles, are they the 2oz. size with interchangeable tips? Checked on the net and they only come 2 to a pkg . Do you or anyone else know where I can buy them in bulk?

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:40am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtacreamRose

charman....The squeeze bottles, are they the 2oz. size with interchangeable tips? Checked on the net and they only come 2 to a pkg . Do you or anyone else know where I can buy them in bulk?

The 2 oz ones with the coupler/changeable tips are my FAVORITE. I have a whole bunch of other bottles that I don't really use anymore. The small bottles hold a typical amount I would mix up, and are easier to hold. I bought them here: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=9&ProductId=619471. I believe I have 14 now, and sometimes have all those colors going. A cool thing about those bottles is that they also come with a regular screw on cap, so if you're saving the icing to use later, just put that cap on and wash out your tip for next time. I haven't seen them any other way than the 2 pack for the 2 oz. bottles.

I don't think wet on wet is messier than other cookie decorating. It's best not to overfill the base coat because you will be adding other colors to it. You have to have "enough" base on though to make it work. I usually use a #3 tip, but less icing would obviously flow from the smaller tips.

ButtacreamRose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks cindy58.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:

These are some leaves I did recently with the wet/wet technique. Just swirled the colors together when they were all still wet. It's not as detailed and pretty as what can be done, just a general example.

ButtacreamRose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderspritzer

Quote:

These are some leaves I did recently with the wet/wet technique.

Cool.Thanks cinderspritzer,Still can't figure out how to post pics or threads on the forum .Hope that helps sugaah.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #14 of 14

Wow! Those are so nice! Great fall colors!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%