How To Attach Number Topper?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm by txnonnie

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 8

I've just made a '1' cake topper that is about 1/4" thick. While it was still pliable, I inserted two holes for toothpicks. Well, while doing that, the toothpick started to show through the gumpaste, and made a groove in the shape of the toothpick on the front of the number. Now, the perfectionist in me needs to re-do the whole thing.

Is there a different/easier way for me to put the number on top of the cake? Maybe once it's dry, I could put edible glue along the bottom of the number, and hope it sticks?

Please help!

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 8

you either need to insert something inside the number, or stick something to the back of it - edible glue on its own i dont think would do it, sticking the number inside the cake probably means it will go soft.

you might get on better with floristry wire, like for gumpaste flowers, they are a bit thinner. a flat wooden lillipop stick might work too, or spaghetti.
these things can all be stuck to the back too, either cover with a thin layer of gumpaste, or use something like chocolate or royal icing.

if you insert something, try to hold the number between finger and thumb (might be difficult though!), where it is going in, then you will feel very quickly if its too close to the surface.
xx

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 8

Why not try letting it dry then attaching toothpicks to the back with edible glue and another piece of fondant band-aid style...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 8

Could you just roll it a bit thicker to accomodate the thickness of the toothpicks?

If you glue something on the back, then the topper is going to have an ugly side, which is okay if that side will be facing a wall, but if it's on a table where people might walk behind it, then you'd want the back to look as tidy as the front.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 8

after i make my no. or letter or whatever.. i stick a thin skewer up into the no. and let it dry.. if the person is carrying it with them.. i put the no. on after icing in b/c or after covering in fondant.. don,t make it too heavy of course.. if i carry it to the venue .. i put the no. on when i get it there.. i put some icing on the skewers also.. hth when i am inserting the skewer. i use a twisting motion into the g/p or whatever i make it with...

midlight21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midlight21 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:55am
post #6 of 8

I use florist wire, 24 gauge I think and just roll the gumpaste a little bit thicker than I normally would. I insert the wire while the piece is still horizontal, making sure that my fingers are on the gumpaste right above where I'm inserting the wire. That helps prevent the shape from distorting and you can feel where the wire actually is.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:06am
post #7 of 8

I use a thin wooden popsicle stick and attach with melted chcolate. Then I stick a straw, cut to the height of the cake, into the cake and insert the popsicle stick.

HTH,

Susan

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 8

I insert floral wire, lollipop stick or skewer in mine then allow it to dry. Just have to allow for the thickness of what you are using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%