3 Tier Dessert Stand With Cake On Top???

Decorating By dutchy1971 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm by dutchy1971

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I'm making a cake for a friends wedding next week, 2 tier sandcastle nothing huge, but, she just called me and asked what size board it would be on as the top of the dessert stand is 18". After my initial WTH are you talking about the cake is going on a cake table moment, I have been informed that the cake is going to be sitting on top of a 3 tier desert stand. I have never seen this, and now I'm panicking that the cake will be too heavy and the dessert stand won't be able to hold the weight of the cake.

Has anyone ever seen this and is it safe???

4 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 5

Personally I have never seen a stand with an 18 inch diameter on the top tier. I think you should see the stand before you begin the cake. Is the top tier of the stand solid or maybe has just a rim? You would want to look at it to judge the proportion of your cake as well.

dutchy1971 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, I've never seen or heard of anything like that either, which has me a little confused and worried. I'm calling the caterer today so hopefully I'll be a little clearer then.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 5

never seen anything like that I won't even let brides use a footed stand. Makes everything too top heavy.

|
|
V
YOU can Vote! Who's gonna help me win this thing???

dutchy1971 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 5

just got off the phone with the caterer, and hopefully everything is ok now.

The caterer builds their stands from glass blocks and glass plates, so in theory the cake would fit but neither the caterer or I are willing to put the cake on the top tier, too top heavy and we could both envision one small bump and bye bye desserts and cake.

Now to go explain this to the bride how the desserts and cake will look on the day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%