Sps System - Cutting The Legs...best Way?

Decorating By BCo Updated 15 Sep 2009 , 11:55am by sweetneice

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering how everyone cuts the plastic legs for the SPS system if your tiers are over 4 inches tall. Usually my BF cuts them on this big table saw but he will be out of town when I am making this particular cake and I don't feel comfortable using that big old saw on my own!

Has anyone found an easy way to cut the hard plastic legs? Would a Hack Saw work?

Thanks a bunch!

4 replies
itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 5

hack saw should work fine....

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 5

Not sure.....those are pretty thick. Ya know, I have started doing a trick, of sorts so I can have any height tier I want and never have to trim the legs. Foam core. If I want the standard 4", then no problem. If I want any other height, I build it up with foam core, and keep the cake at 4".

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 3:58am
post #4 of 5

Good idea Jamie - well problem solved - I learned how to use the chop saw...I think that's what it's called! icon_smile.gif Miter (sp?) saw....???

So I learned how to use the saw and make a jig to make sure they're all even!!! I told him now that's one less thing I need him for icon_biggrin.gif I like power tools!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:55am
post #5 of 5

Maybe I had a cheap hack saw, because it was HORRIBLE trying to cut with it! LOL! I need new materials for that! Glad it worked out for ya!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%