What Do I Do If My Cutters Don't Arrive

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 1:07am by Evoir

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 5:19pm
post #31 of 42

You can use buttercream, royal Icing or fondant. I have lots of flowers in that topper, but keep in mind that leaves can fill a lot of space and you can use some small filler flowers.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:58am
post #32 of 42

I usually make a lump of fondant into a small mound - for an 8" round it would be about 3 inches in diameter. I first place it on my work surface, and arrange the flowers on that first. You probably need to cut your stems quite short - about 1 - 2 inches. When you are happy with the arrangment, disassemble it, use RI to glue the mound to your cake and then place your flowers into the mound again on the cake. Sometimes I use RI to glue them into the fondant if I am worried about movement icon_smile.gif

HTH

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #33 of 42

I like to use heart cutters. I bought a 5 petal cutter once and used it once. I like the heart cutter better, and everyone has one of those.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #34 of 42

Evoir, do you have to put a support under your mound of fonant? I sooooooo don't want my flowers sinking into the cake!!!

tonedna Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #35 of 42

You dont have to put support under the fondant. The ball is not as big as you would
imagine.
Edna icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 5:13am
post #36 of 42

I want to thank all of you for your input & help. The cake was delivered this evening for the benefit. The lady I know said bids were down this year (economy may be to blame) but it still brought over $100.

Your tutorial saved me Edna. I don't know that you guys can see the dusting b/c I started w/ colored gumpaste, but you could see the detail in person.
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:07am
post #37 of 42

See you didn't need cutters after all. Your flowers and the cake itself turned out gorgeous!

Isn't Edna the best????

Edited for typo.

dandelion56602 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:13am
post #38 of 42

Edna is great! But I tell ya, I was so sick & tired of making petals by the time I finished. I think I made 15 roses (some bigger than others) and then about 8 mums, plus the leaves & ball things (I have no idea what to call them lol). One end of my table was covered in cutters, dusts/chalk, cooling racks, etc. Glad to have my table back. I know I would charge a booty load if someone wanted them for a cake. If they don't want to pay they can get silk! Does the 5 petal cutter speed things up at all? Man I'm exhausted & going to bed, I can't even think straight.

tonedna Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:29pm
post #39 of 42

lol..Im so sorry about the petals. Eventually I will do a whole thing that includes the 5 petal cutter. Is just that for youtube it was easier to do do that everybody could find a round cutter.. The five petal does speed things up.
Im so proud of those!..The look so perfect!...OMG!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #40 of 42

I'm not complaining Edna, I soooo appreciate your tutorial & I definitely didn't have the cutters so had to do what I could. It's nice to know the 5 petal speeds things up. It was definitely great practice & i know I can do it again if I have to. I also used the same technique for the rose in my shoebox cake. My dd LOVED that "purple" rose.

Ha, ha, my brain is so tired I'm not really comprehending what I'm saying. I did 2 cakes & 14 decorated cookies for this benefit. It was great practice, but next year it'll be 1 cake!

tonedna Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #41 of 42

I did 6 wedding in the leas 2 days..wanna do an exchange?..lol
Edna icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:07am
post #42 of 42

Your cake looks beautiful! Great work on the flowers too icon_smile.gif

BTW: Pat Ashby has a fabulous book on making all kinds of flowers with 5-petal cutters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%