Bettycrocker Cake Mix..how Long Good For On Shelf???

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm by indydebi

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 3

I was wondering what was the longest time frame you let go by before using your boxed mix? and Did your cake bake up ok?

The reason i ask. I am finally getting to cleaning out my 'cake room' and had around 20 boxes of betty crocker supermoist cake mix in there. I bought a huge amount when they went on sale around a year ago, and hadn't used up the remaining boxes. So i called the company and asked me to explain the barcode so that i could see if they were still good. The woman said that they are good for a year. WELLL...all the boxes are at least a year old from the time they were manufactered. The oldest one was 1yr 3months old. I'm just trying to decide if i should toss them all or save 'em? I know sometimes the companies say a year when really they are good for longer. What has been your experience?
If i have to i'll ditch them, but i want to make sure first that i'm not throwing out perfectly good mixes. They are all in the sealed boxes, and the mixes are in a sealed bag within the box. I don't forsee doing any cakes in the immediate future, but i'm sure there will be cupcakes etc.. needed for my son's school this year.

Suz

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 3

I have used some that were that old and they baked up fine!! They are in a sealed pouch so I would say use them!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 3

Bake one as a test cake and find out. Let us know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%