Why Are There Rarely Any Cake Events In The Pittsburgh Area?

Decorating By neecerator Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 11:40am by playingwithsugar

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 8

Is it just me, or what's going on? Every State in the Nation seems to have a club, or a meetup, shows, competitions, etc. Where are the cake events in Pittsburgh? Please help. It's hard to learn about cakes when all there is, is a corner craft store, and hardly any bakeshops in my area to gain any experience.

7 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 8

I'm going to be very honest with you, and frankly, I don't care who I tick off in the process. The challenge was put forth to some people I know, to create an event in the Pittsburgh area. Well, you'd thought we slapped their mother. For all the bitching and moaning they did about having to travel from all the way out there, none of them wanted to grab the baton and run with it. We got a very "Not Me" response and matching attitude the rest of the weekend.

By the way, these are the same people who wouldn't even support their group's event in Allentown, when I planned it. They went to Cincinnati instead, because they didn't want to drive that far.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

neecerator Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 8

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.
I'm very friendly and drove from Pgh to Philly for a bridal shower and back all in just one day! I also drive 5.5 hours to see my daughter, 6 hours to see my son and sister and 7 hours to see my Mom & Dad.

I'm very disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm in the Pittsburgh region. I'm attending a Pittburgh Culinary Inst. enthusiast class Sept. 19th. That's all I can find for now.

icon_cry.gif

Superchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superchic Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 8

I'm in Pitt. Running into the same problems trying to find some classes and events for cake decorating. Wish I would have known about the Sept 19 Inst event you went to

neecerator Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchic

I'm in Pitt. Running into the same problems trying to find some classes and events for cake decorating. Wish I would have known about the Sept 19 Inst event you went to

Hi Superchic:
If you can remember to email me this week at: [email protected] I will send you the info. I sent another cake friend earlier today, all about the class. It was fantastic, and more of them to come in Oct. Nov. & Dec. I will definately go again, and maybe you and the other cake friend and I can meet and be 'cake buddies?' tee hee

Sincerely,
Denise (Neecerator)

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #6 of 8

My sister lives in Pittsburgh... has worked for USAir for the past 37 years. We love that area and visit her often. My observation would be this:

Pittsburgh "Proper" and surrounding neighborhoods, (McKees Rocks, Sewickley, Moon Township, The Run, etc.) are all still very "old school" and steeped in the traditions of their ethnicity. Some areas are very Polish, some very Italian, German, etc. The area is loaded with Buddy Valastro style bakeries; however, unlike Buddy, they still crank out elaborate buttercream cakes and traditional pastries. Not all of them, but still many, many are not versed in fondant. When my sister shares pictures of my cakes, people cannot believe them. (Not that my cakes are special, but the use of fondant and sculpting has not become common place around there.)

In many ways, (and this is what I love about Pitt, but understand why it could be frustrating as well) it is still very "Old World" around there. It took ten years for my sister to get a TJMaxx within five miles of her! Gasp!

icon_surprised.gif

Superchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superchic Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:26am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the response. Denise I just emailed you icon_smile.gif

Win~ I actually live in the Crafton area and work in the Moon/Coraopolis area so I know exactly where you are talking about and what you are talking about...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:40am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Pittsburgh "Proper" and surrounding neighborhoods, (McKees Rocks, Sewickley, Moon Township, The Run, etc.) are all still very "old school" and steeped in the traditions of their ethnicity. Some areas are very Polish, some very Italian, German, etc. The area is loaded with Buddy Valastro style bakeries; however, unlike Buddy, they still crank out elaborate buttercream cakes and traditional pastries. Not all of them, but still many, many are not versed in fondant. When my sister shares pictures of my cakes, people cannot believe them. (Not that my cakes are special, but the use of fondant and sculpting has not become common place around there.)

I can vouch that most of Pennsylvania is still like that. In some areas, like where I live, people will rarely pay the price for fondant-covered or high-end decorated cakes. If they did, I would be in business, and my home would be paid off by now.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%