Check Out My Game Plan!

Decorating By sullymel13 Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm by Texas_Rose

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I am kind of new to cake decorating, and I am going to tackle a fairly simple wedding cake. It will be big, but not decorated too fancy. Basically 4 tiers, filled with raspberry filling, covered in white MMF. The tiers will be separated with about 1.5" thick styrofoam discs with fake red roses stuck around the outside. I have made one tiered cake before with MMF.

Does this plan sound pretty reasonable, as far as the cakes and icing not going stale, and work load (I have two young kids):

Thursday:
Make fondant, rose circles

Friday:
Bake Cakes
Fill with bought Sleeve Pastry filling (will this stay good without refrigeration?)
Crumb Coat with Buttercream

Saturday (wedding is 4 pm):
Cover cakes with fondant
Assemble on site

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 7

Why not bake you cakes ahead of time and wrap really well and freeze. They get so moist that way, and you don't have all of the work to do all at once. You can just take them out of the freezer the night before and decorate on friday... I have always done it this way and it works really well.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 7

I would bump everything up by a day...Make fondant on Wednesday (or sooner if you have free time, it will keep), bake on Thursday, cover with fondant on Friday. That way if you have any problems you'll have time to deal with them. You'll feel better if everything is already done before Saturday and all you have to do is deliver and assemble.

Brandy982006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandy982006 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with cathyscakes, bake and freeze your cakes ahead of time. Setup, fill and crumbcoat thursday so you can let the cake settle...and decorate on Friday. You don't want to wait until the last day to have to decorate the cake...just in case something comes up, you don't need the stress to worry about it on the same day as the wedding. Hope this helps

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

I bake on Monday or Tuesday and freeze. I make icing on Wednesday. Fondant on Thursday and I also set my cakes out (covered with plastic) before I go to bed. That gives me all day Friday to ice and apply fondant. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. I do this because it is always unpredictable at my house!

Ashlee

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips! I might even make the cakes this week, if I am going to freeze them. I was just worried about leaving the cakes with the filling and buttercream out in the open for too long. I think I will fill/crumbcoat Thursday, Fondant on Friday, and have just set up for Saturday.

I forgot to mention the BC I want to use has milk in it, and just wanted to make sure it wouldn't spoil, especially if I use it to crumbcoat on Thursday.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 7

No, your BC will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%