Cracking Fondant Figures - What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Rhiannon_Scarlett Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm by Rhiannon_Scarlett

Rhiannon_Scarlett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon_Scarlett Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 11

Hello
I have just attempted my first ever figures out of fondant and they have all cracked along the creases. No matter how much I kneaded the fondant you could still see the lines/folds & now that they are drying they are cracking. icon_sad.gif

I didnt expect to be perfect straight away so any suggestions for improvements would be appreciated.

I think there is a similar thread somewhere but I cant find it. Sorry.

I used this recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3223/flower-and-modelling-paste

Thanks! So much harder than it looks!

10 replies
DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 11

Hi,
I'm definitely NO EXPERT, but I just tried my first fondant figures and they came out so much better than I could have hoped for!! I just used a standard MMF (marshmallow fondant) recipe and let dry. I put it all together while everything was still soft and propped up any areas that needed it. The next day, I removed any supports and continued to let dry. No cracks! Maybe it could be the recipe or your environment, humidity factor, etc? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 11

I have never used that recipe. I normally use Satin Ice Fondant with a little Tylose powder kneaded into it. For the figures for the cake I did last week, I used the premade Satin Ice Gumpaste and it is wonderful to work with.
It sounds to me like the recipe you were using might be a little dry. If you put just a little Crisco (shortening) on your hands and work it into the fondant that might help. I had more trouble with cracking when I first started modeling then I do now. I think as you progress in your modeling, you will learn how to handle the fondant and roll it in your hands to help prevent the cracking.
Most characters or items start from a ball of fondant. When you are rolling the ball, start with a fair amount of pressure and continue rolling but lessen the pressure as you go. I also usually have just the tiniest bit of Crisco on my hands. HTH

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 11

I used MMF with tylose added to make the figures I recently posted.

I can't tell you how important microwaving was to my final results. I swear I want to buy a small unit only for modeling and keep it in the room I work, so I don't have to walk to the kitchen so much.

Microwaving for as little as 10 seconds on a small piece changes the entire consistency. Even if it's hard and cracking, it'll become soft, smooth, and perfectly moldable.

Rhiannon_Scarlett Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 9:55am
post #5 of 11

Can someone please look at the pic below & help!?

I have kneaded & rolled & kneaded and everytime a make a ball it still has the cracks/splits like in the picture.

I am about to give up!!!

The orange ball of fondant is supposed to be for the body of a girl but I can not get it to "hold together"...
LL

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:22am
post #6 of 11

I use Wilton stuff to make figures, it tastes yucky but molds wonderfully! lol!

It is really hard to tell what the problem could be, are you twisting and pulling it, then bringing those ends back together? Or are you just working it so that the fondant never has to come back together. I'm not sure how to explain what I mean... I have found that if I make it into a long piece, then bring the ends together to knead, then there are more air bubbles and cracks. If you just have a ball that you keep squatting on different sides, then it is easier to form a smooth ball from that.

I apologize if what I'm saying makes no sense at all, I can't put what I mean into words. lol!!

I have no idea why it would crack when it dries... My figures have always maintained the same smoothness (or lack thereof) when they dry. Hmmm.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:47am
post #7 of 11

how long are you working the fondant? if its starting to dry out it will be uch harder to get it back to a smooth ball. so a little bit of crisco (or the microwave technique) might help, or else, get a new bit to work with.
xx

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 11

I use fondant with tylose powder.

That's what mine looks like if I've added too much tylose.

I would try adding a bit more fondant to it to soften it a little.

Then if that doesn't work add lots of shortening, not just enough to coat your hands. At least half to one teaspoon. Put it straight into the ball and knead it in.

When rolling, don't roll with your fingers as well. Just the palm of your hands and cup your hands around the ball and roll really fast. This gets heat into it to help smooth out any lines.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 11

A piece of fondant can become "over worked". Once that happens it seems like it will just not come together like it should. Try starting with a fresh piece of fondant that you haven't worked with yet. Take just enough to make about a 1" ball. Just to practice and get a feel for it. You don't even have to color it. Knead the piece just enough to make it soft. Put just a tiny, and I mean the tiniest amount of crisco on you hands. Then with your hands cupped start to roll the piece into a ball. Use a fair amount of pressure to start and as you're rolling the ball start to lighten the pressure as you go. Take a look at the ball, if it has a any cracks continue rolling in your palm with light pressure. The cracks should go away.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:01pm
post #10 of 11

Rhiannon_Scarlett...I've had pieces that looked like yours and worse and as I wrote above, microwaving solved the problem.

Rhiannon_Scarlett Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks guys!

I think I might have had too much CMC/Cellogen mixed with the fondant & I think I over worked it.
The microwaving worked ! As did the squatting on different sides! icon_smile.gif

Plus I had a play around with some fondant & made a couple of little things before I went back to my project.

Thanks for the help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%