Chocolate Compound In Airbrush?

Decorating By just_for_fun Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm by just_for_fun

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 7

Is it possible to put melted chocolate compound in an airbrush or will it clog? If you've tried this, how does it look? TIA

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #2 of 7

I doubt it would work. It would be too thick.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 7

Norm Davis has done this, but it isn't your average every day cake airbrush. I saw him do it in a Demo at one of the ICES conventions, probably the NO one.

I believe he used an regular spary painting gun that you would get at the hardware store. You also have to add oil to the chocolate to thin it down to get it to flow through the gun as well as keep it warm.

Why not try emailing him and asking him for information on it.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 7

Airbrush will spray cocoa butter, but not chocolate. If you want a cheap alternative try a Wagner power sprayer.

Mike

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 7

I saw Norman use it in Ultimate Cake off but like mentioned by TexasSugar, it's a different kind of airbrush.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 7

I use a regular old black and decker paint sprayer for spraying chocolate. Also, you have to thin it out a LOT with additional cocoa butter to make it fluid enough to not clog the gun (and even then clogs happen a lot).

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for all your answers! My brother in law sells gourmet chocolates, and he was wondering if it would work. I told him right away that it would probably be too thick, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%