Problem When I Cut The Cake!

Decorating By anais_o Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 11:11pm by anais_o

anais_o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anais_o Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 15

hi, im having problems with my cake lately, everything seems perfect until i cut the cake,( it brakes ) when i cut it. what can be the problem?? please i need help! thank you!

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 15

how fresh is it?

I like to freeze my cakes--they are baked to order but I freeze them because I think they slice better after freezing.

So sometimes being too fresh is a problem.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 15

but what do you mean by 'breaks'? Could you describe that?

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 15

Ditto to K8...It is so much easier to handle once frozen, because it tightens the crumb.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 15

Do you let them thaw before you cut them then? Or cut them frozen? I am worried the frozen would cut great, then as it thaws, fall apart?

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 15

do the layers fall apart at the filling? When you pick it up to place on the plate it comes apart? That's what mine sometimes do.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 15

In which case I think the filling isn't moist enough, such as my choc mousse filling

anais_o Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 15

hi kate! yes i freeze them too even if its just over night, and i still have this problem. when i cut it, the slices just brakes in pieces. its hard to get a clean slice.

anais_o Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 15

hi thank you kathy,
thats my other question will it fall apart as it thaws??? is that the problem??? i think the cake is fresh, i usually make the cake about 2 or 3 days before and freeze it.

anais_o Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 15

hi sweetreasure, it actually breaks apart with the knife cutting it. maybe the filling? hummm

anais_o Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 15

thank you girls for all your replies!! this is been very dissapointed for me. i need to get to a conclussion soon. icon_surprised.gif(

-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 15

Are you sawing the slice or are you just smashing down with the knife? Are you using a clean knife? Is this fondant covered? You gotta cut through the fondant then cut the cake.

What kinda cake is it?

anais_o Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 15

its buttercream with fondant, yellow cake. im smashing the cake all the way down ( not moving the knife side to side). other people are having this problem with my cake too. but when i cut leftovers from the fridge it cuts clean. is it getting too thaw??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 15

a sharp straight edge knife works better than a serrated knife.

Once you cut the big 2" strip, you might try laying that strip down on it's side. This is a great way to get clean cuts because you're not smooshing the cake down thru the icing/fondant.

See my web page for what I mean: http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

anais_o Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 15

yes i use a straight edge knife. it also happened with just buttercream too. but this is really making sence thank you so much. i'll definitely gonna try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%